Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a push/pull volume switch into my RG for coil splitting. I wired them according to the diagram found in the tech section of Jemsite.

I know that when the switch is turned on (pulled), the humbucker is splitted.
How about position 2 & 4? Which coils are functioning when the switch is on?
Isn't that , even when the switch is turned off (pushed), at position 2 & 4, the function coil is the middle single coil and the inner coil of the humbucker? But I did hear the sound changed when I pulled the swicth at position 2 or 4. Which coils are functioning when the switch is on at position 2 or 4?

BTW, after installing the switch, it seems that at position 4 (bridge+middle),it sounds brighter than before (ToneZone+HS-2) while it sounds the same as b4 at position 2 (Humbucker from Hell + HS-2)
Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
it should sound different, since when pulled out, the humbucker is running as a single-coil pickup. Positions 2-4 leave the middle on along with either the neck or bridge humbucker, in single-coil mode.

That said, some humbuckers perform better when you split the coils... never used it with the HfH... glen

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I'm readig the schematic right, positions 2 and 4 will be different when the switch is in and when it's out.  The HBs are no longer split automatically when in 2 and 4.  So, when the switch is pulled out, you'll get the 2 and 4 positions you used to have, single plus split HB.  When the switch is pushed in, you'll get the full HB plus the single in the 2 and 4 positions.

I wouldn't expect the HfH to sound too different from before, maybe a little more output when the switch is down.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the HfH sounds even better when splitted IMO but the ToneZone sounds too bright when splitted
I've heard that the ToneZone sounds good when splitted, maybe it sounds too bright because of the ASH body and it is put in the bridge position

1 - 4 of 4 Posts