Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Unless he's use to making $5 an hour. How can he possible justify the time he spent on this thing.

On sale today an Ibanez rg AANJ basswood body,H-S-H pickup configuration, that has been refinished in PAW swirl style and modified with jem model monkey grip and lions claw cavities . The tremolo cavity was routed to fit original edge or lo-pro type tremolo.

This used to be a 2 humbuckers body. An extra single coil cavity was routed in the middle position. The tremolo stud inserts are still installed and they are NOT locking studs inserts.

A lot of work have been put into this guitar. The body was sanded down to remove the original paint, sealed, primed, and swirled with Black, pink, green, and yellow. The body was then sprayed with several layers of 2 part automotive clear. Then it was wet sanded thoroughly, buffed and polished, for a shining smooth high gloss mirror like finish.
How many hours must that have taken, plus the price of the body, and the paint. Looks like expensive paint.

Are there swirls that aren't Jem bodies? I think that would look better. You get the Cool paint, without the Vai stigma.

·
Registered
915 Posts
He also lives in Isreal.
Cost of doing business may be a lot lower.
It looks as though he re-did a 320 body. No plate for the jack on the backside.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Unless he's use to making $5 an hour. How can he possible justify the time he spent on this thing. How many hours must that have taken, plus the price of the body, and the paint. Looks like expensive paint. Are there swirls that aren't Jem bodies? I think that would look better. You get the Cool paint, without the Vai stigma.
His username here is Barbarelaxe. Perhaps he does make a nice buck with it. Let's ask him.

Avi, how's business?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got 2 of his swirls and they are superb! His clearcoating is also top drawer - there's some snaps of his work on my wordpress blog thing.

His turn around time is *very* quick when compared to ther swirlers and his prices are very competitive - I also initially wondered how makes a profit too but having had several email conversations with Avi I guess he'd do it even if he only broke even - he's just so passionate about what he does and guitars in general!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've got 2 of his swirls and they are superb! His clearcoating is also top drawer - there's some snaps of his work on my wordpress blog thing.

His turn around time is *very* quick when compared to ther swirlers and his prices are very competitive - I also initially wondered how makes a profit too but having had several email conversations with Avi I guess he'd do it even if he only broke even - he's just so passionate about what he does and guitars in general!
+1. I've got one of his and it is simply excellent.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the kind words. Karl, how are you? have you done anything with orange swirl body?
The swirl we are talking about is on a used RG, probably 320 since it was a 2 hum body, but I don't know for sure. It is priced a little lower then usuall since it didn't sell the first time it was listed, and it was hanging around my workshop for a very long time so I just want it out already.
You also need to remember that I'm in Israel and when you convert us dollars to Israeli currency it is good money. I'm not gonna be rich from it but it is ok as a second source of income.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
You do very nice swirls! I saw a DNA you did recently that definitely had bragging rights.

I might have to have a chat with you about a raw (sealed) Jem body I have laying around for a nice DNA-ish type swirl.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the kind words. Karl, how are you? have you done anything with orange swirl body?
The swirl we are talking about is on a used RG, probably 320 since it was a 2 hum body, but I don't know for sure. It is priced a little lower then usuall since it didn't sell the first time it was listed, and it was hanging around my workshop for a very long time so I just want it out already.
You also need to remember that I'm in Israel and when you convert us dollars to Israeli currency it is good money. I'm not gonna be rich from it but it is ok as a second source of income.
Hi Avi the orange body just needs a floyd and locking nut. I've been looking for chrome hardware but not really found much yet. Chrome stuff is way too hard to find :( I have got a wizard neck with blue led's fitted on it at the moment, but that might be coming off while I swap it for a super wizard neck I've just got!!

The good news is I'll be in touch soon as my girlfriend has just asked me why don't I get a diablo done! As it's my birthday in Feb I think she'll treat me!!

I think I've got too many jobs on the go though - A thinline tele, my strat needs a new neck, my 550 needs a fret dress, the orange swirl, a mahogany RGA from Jaden and a Herc swirl all need finishing! It's gona cost about a grand to finish the lot off!

Anyway, have a great Christmas break mate! I'll be in touch!

Cheers
Karl

·
Registered
931 Posts
Your birthday is in february? really? mine to. I'm gonna be 37 on february 6th.
I guess that explains why we get along so well :lol:

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sometimes the world seems so small. *hmmm* I wonder if I could have my Tele done...... :) Time for a PM I'd say. And what If i put a Monkey grip in my Tele. :) :) I'm starting to like the idea.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sometimes the world seems so small. *hmmm* I wonder if I could have my Tele done...... :) Time for a PM I'd say. And what If i put a Monkey grip in my Tele. :) :) I'm starting to like the idea.
and @ screamndemon69 too...

Do it! You'll be pleasantly surprised with Avi's swirls

Merry Christmas!
Karl ~~> going back for 2nd helping of Christmas dinner now :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Darin, you mean something like this:

Still need to finish clearcoating but you get the drift.

I'm from Bat-Yam which is about 5 minute drive to the south of Tel-Aviv. Bat-Yam means daughter of the sea, and that is because the city is on the shore of the Mediterranean sea. and in case you haven't seen it already this is the view from my fifth floor apartment.

Anyone interested in anything being swirled or just asking something, feel free to PM/email.

Avi.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Id love to see a jem body swirled with Fluro pink, Fluro Yellow and Fluro Green or SK DY and LNG.... With pyramid inlays and the same swirl on the headstock. How much would this cost ? :p

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Darin, you mean something like this:

Still need to finish clearcoating but you get the drift.

I'm from Bat-Yam which is about 5 minute drive to the south of Tel-Aviv. Bat-Yam means daughter of the sea, and that is because the city is on the sure of the Mediterranean sea. and in case you haven't seen it already this is the view from my fifth floor apartment.

Anyone interested in anything being swirled or just asking something, feel free to PM/email.

Avi.
Dude, THAT RULES!! Is that tele body for sale?

Wait, it's prepped for trem. How much for a standard Tele body, with the grip, swirled?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts