Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

As some of you are aware, I'm in the Air Force. I've got just over 8 years in, and I've been stationed at the same base for 7 and a half years. Well, since I've remarried, and Las Vegas isn't exactly the best place on earth for family, I've decided I'm going to do everything I can to go overseas.

The good news: Since I've been here so long, I have priority in getting tagged for an overseas assignment of my choice. The problem is, where the hell should I go?

I've been to Italy for all of about 4 hours, and just stepping off the plane took my breath away. So, I'm considering Aviano AB in Italy. I'm also considering bases in Germany.

Anyone been to any of these areas? Anyone have recommendations? I'd love to hear about everyone's experience with Europe. : )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah. I was at Hahn/Morbach from '83-'88. Some of the bases have closed since then.

Hahn rawked. Spangdahlem, Bitburg, & Ramstein were great as well. Tell me which ones are still there.

Also - while I never went there, everyone I knew that was stationed in England or Spain just dug the hell out of it.

And... thanx for doing what you do.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sad to say, I don't have my own overseas experiences. But we have friends who were in Italy for the Navy. They loved it. That's prolly where I'd go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got done with 3 years at Spangdahlem myself. Before that Incirlik Turkey 90-92, RAF Lakenheath 94-97 and Kunsan 99-00. I'm looking to go to Aviano Italy next. Almost all of the overseas bases had a state side in between. In Germany, Bitburg (as a flying base) and Hahn have closed. Every base has good and bad but being in Europe makes up for a lot. Good Luck.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't heard of Bitburg... but Germany is looking pretty sweet. I might be able to swing Aviano based on what someone told me yesterday at work. I'm really looking forward to a new experience. While Kuwait is overseas, it's certainly not the best thing in the world to base an actual overseas tour on.

How'd you like Turkey? I hear that assignment rocks.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Is that the best place to smoke it then : )

Come to the UK. We'll go for a beer. It doesn't get any better than that.

OMG, come to the UK, we will form a Spinal Tap covers band (spinal tarp!), and play the air force base.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
One thing to keep in mind if you are moving from NV to UK - can you live with Seattle type weather because that's what we have. :wink:

ilia

·
Registered
33 Posts
Turkey was great in 1990-1992. After having deployed there in 2001, a lot has changed. Great times when I was stationed there though.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i spent 1 year for the military service in a tanks base a few kms from Aviano, i can tell you there's a great whether (no humidity at all and always fresh temp.), great landscapes, spectacular sunsets, beautiful and clean sea a few kms from there, and of course Italian food, that's a guarantee. bad thing is that there's not much to do in the nearby.

oh, and girls go nuts for USA Army guys... ;D

·
Registered
765 Posts
He, not sure if this is too late, or not, but here goes!

I work on RAF Mildenhall in England and i used to live on RAF Lakenheath when I was younger - Dad's retired now though!
Anyway, the community on RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath is very nice,
(guys in the barracks offer me a beer and a jam on their guitars,
even if they don't know me - how friendly can ya get?) and the local schools
even include the bases in the 'catchment' areas for pupils - so kids are guarenteed a place if you want them to go there
(hell, that's how *I* got chucked into the English schooling system!) - but there are excellent schools on the bases.
Also, the facilities onsite are continually being expanded or re-moddled. (they just re-opened the BX on Lakenheath, and opened a new bowling alley on Mildenhall)
The areas around the bases are lovely, lots of people who have PCS'ed over choose to rent a house outside the bases.

Anyway, hope it's not too late and i hope it helps a lil.
It'd be great to know theres an experienced jemsiter
a stones throw from me lol!

Good luck

~M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts