Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys

Just bought myself an Ibanez S970W - feels great to play, wonderful neck, great action.
The only thing I am not too impressed with are the CAP pickups that come with it.

I am thinking of replacing the CAP pickups with Air Norton (N) , True Velvet (M) and Tone Zone (B).
Now these usually come with the RG Prestige series and they sound great on the RG 3250

Anyone have any concerns/ideas how might this configuration work on an Ibanez S-Series ?
And any other pickup combination that people can suggest - looking for medium to high output pickups with a lot of definition.

Cheers
Debz

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
To start off though, the Tone Zone probably won't sound too good in the mahogany bodied S series, too muddy. Go a Dominion, which feels similar to a Tone Zone, but won't get muddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
Here are the answers to the questions that would probably give more information about my requirements:
Webpage for the model: Seeibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S970W
1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.
Answer: Rock, Heavy Metal, Djent, Vai (Of course!), Satriani, Rory Gallagher.
Sabbath, Zeppelin, Metallica, Periphery, Alter Bridge
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through?
Answer: BlackStar HT20 Amp
3. What are the specifics of your guitar?
Answer: Ibanes S S970W - Mahogany body with Walnut top, Bound Rosewood fingerboard, 5pc Maple/Walnut neck, ZR2 bridge
A. Is it a trem or hardtail?
Answer: Trem
B. maple or rosewood board?
Answer: Bound Rosewood
C. how many frets?
Answer: 24
D. what controls are on it?
Answer: 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 5 Way Switching
E. What type of wood is you body made from?
Answer: Mahogany body with Walnut top
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard?
Answer: Ring mounted

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestion, LonePhantom.
And can you suggest what pickup combination would go well with the Dominion on the bridge.

Cheers.

Debz

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
To start off though, the Tone Zone probably won't sound too good in the mahogany bodied S series, too muddy. Go a Dominion, which feels similar to a Tone Zone, but won't get muddy.
I agree, I've had trouble with the Tone Zone getting muddy in "warmer" sounding woods. I've not tried the Mark Morton pickups yet, but havent heard any conflicting opinions of them; everyone seems to like them.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion, LonePhantom.
And can you suggest what pickup combination would go well with the Dominion on the bridge.

Cheers.

Debz
The Dominions can be bought as a matched set of neck and bridge pickups.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'll agree with the Tone Zone muddiness comments. For the sort of tones you're after i'd look at the D-Activators or Evos. I've not tried the Dominions yet, but have read many positive reviews.

Rock on!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Definitely Dominion neck, it's a fantastic neck pickup. A lot of those styles you mentioned will be good with the Dominion bridge as it has a very fast attack, and good mids to cut through the mix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback.
So looks like Dominion is being a popular choice to consider followed by Evos and D-Activators.

Most of the reviews on them are by people who have tested them on a RG basswood body.
But has anyone tried out the Dominions or the Evos on a Mahogany body and heard what its like.

Cheers
Debz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Viper-sfm ... Thanks for that suggestion.
In fact, that would have been my next question - What single coil would fit well in between two high output pickups like the Dominions.

I was initially thinking - DiMarzio True Velvet because it sounded good on a RG basswood body, but not sure how it would sound on a Mahogany.

Any more ideas will be welcome.

Thanks
Debz

·
Registered
656 Posts
The only thing about the True Velvet is that it is a true single coil, which means you'll have noise while playing through it with a distorted sound. If that's something that doesn't bother you, then you might as well, go for it. As I said though, if you want something a little bit hotter to better match the Dominions, and be noise free as well, then the Fast Track 1 is very good. I have it in one of my guitars and it surprised me as to how good it is. If you don't like the look of the dual blade singles, then maybe an Injector Neck might be a good option as well.

I'm not sure about the Evos in Mahogany BTW. Steve's guitars are usually Alder/Basswood.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was initially thinking - DiMarzio True Velvet because it sounded good on a RG basswood body, but not sure how it would sound on a Mahogany.
It sounds a lot better in my RG8570 than in my RG480. Now the RG480 has a custom pickguard for H-H and volume pot only. And it's much louder than an ISCV2 (Evolution single) if that helps, but not as balanced or metallic sounding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys,

Dimarzio Support got back to me, and their suggestion is:
F-spaced LiquiFire in the neck, True Velvet middle
(DP175S) and an F-spaced Dominion bridge model in the bridge.
Wiring diagram attached.

Any thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Liquifire is a great pickup for the neck position. In fact, both John Petrucci pickups are excellent. Can't go wrong with them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts