Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I have just bought an LNG from Marsa... guy named Peter Larm on paypal however Peter Anders by email. Email address [email protected]

I messaged him for any guitars he had and said he had an lng so I paid by paypal and saw pictures on a "private album" on photobucket which had a series of photos. He wanted 3100 CAD which I paid.

He says he will mail the guitar first thing and then instantly i get suspicious one because price is semi reasonable and is in mint condition. Number 232 apparently and then i check em out and it seems ok and then something hits me after he says he wasnt able to mail it until the next day. My funds have been clear for 24 hours. He said he had to stay on a small emergency at the office which sounds like the excuse a husband would make cheating on his wife.

Then i decide to dig on google images. and found this:

Here is the link to his photo which is this and note the background to the right of the case: This is the one he says is his:

and this is the one on gilaguitars.com and is number 223. Note the same graphic.. however were some of them the same graphic? I didnt ask for a photo of the guitar prior to be put in front of something silly of my choosing e.g. having a photo in front of a blender or something holding the guitar. This would be the first time I have encountered any fraud on jemsite.

If I am wrong and everything proves to be all good, then apologies and ignore this and my detective work is too good whilst misleading. But if not then paypal funds are already held and transaction proof is being forwarded to be used as this as agreed along with screen shots of all messages. Funds already held for security.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I'm not sure how he managed to transpose the numbers, although the "ink"on 232 is very rough, you cannot change the fact they are the same guitar. Look at the paper on the jack cover and the plastic on the trem cover, they're identical. Conclusion, it's a con.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
What slideshow? Although unnecessary, as I said, compare the paper on the jack cover, no 2 would ever have exactly the same defects, or the wrinkles on the trem cover. They're the sme guitar, background in the shot and all.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
They're not the same guitars, the back picture is Brett's photoshopped to change the number. Anybody that would do that is a con, there is no reason if he had the guitar he would have to photoshop somebody elses picture. Immediately file a claim, if you have to open dispute first then do it but immediately escalate to a claim.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just called DHL who say that they have no information with my postal code. There is no shipment from Ottawa either incoming to the UK whatsoever. 1-905-861-3687

*MODS* Please do me a favour and do not delete this for now as It will be necessary for paypal to reverse my funds back to my bank account and back from the verified paypal address of the seller and theyll wanna know site origin etc*

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Dayum. Being had is a scary thing. I only deal in country-make sure I can find them on Facebook-talk to them as much as possible before pulling the trigger. I'd rather miss out on a good deal by being too cautious than lose alot Of money on a fake deal such as this. Always do your research and due diligence.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted the guy directly and asked him if he had anything else and he said he has an lng only. So we messaged and then he seemed genuine in the info he gave until today in the morning something didn't feel right and I just knew half way when i got no email with a track number .... he said he stayed late which nobody ever does in an office in Canada. Ha... But seriously... this sucks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm still confused, how'd you get in contact with this guy initially? I always ask for specific, weird shots of the guitar to verify that they actually have it. When I sell, I normally put a piece of paper saying bryancap77 on the guitar to verify I have it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On this occasion I didn't ask and I did ask when I bought that DNA for equivalent 8000USD. I just telephoned PayPal in Canada and the funds have been placed on hold now so I feel good now. Fortunately I caught this in good time. I will let this e a buying lesson to those here.

1. Get photos
2. Get photo in front of strange object
3. Speak to guy on telephone and have contact number
4. Receive tracking number same day as payment is made
5. Make sure shipping if international is speedy so can arrive in 3 days
6. Track parcel from get go and confirm weight and dimensions etc

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
1. Get photos
2. Get photo in front of strange object
3. Speak to guy on telephone and have contact number
4. Receive tracking number same day as payment is made
5. Make sure shipping if international is speedy so can arrive in 3 days
6. Track parcel from get go and confirm weight and dimensions etc
I agree with all you said except 4. When I sell I item I can't always ship it the same day as when payment is sent. However, I am guilty of over communication. I do provide my cell phone number and full name and stuff like that.

On a few occasions have had to call or message a buyer back and tell him I could not make it to the UPS depot to ship it. I got stuck in traffic and didn't make it in time to ship it that day.

Communication is the key to having the buyer feel secure. I am glad you will get your money back dude.

What you and others have gone through are one of my biggest fears of buying stuff in forums and places like that. One of the reasons I mostly deal in person or with well known sellers like Mr. Harris.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.