Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fam how is it going? I just cant seem to find the right allen key that adjusts perfectly to the truss rod. I even asked at the shop where I bought it and they don't know. They say it's because it's an american size. What it fits its a 4, but it woobbles a bit and a 5 wont fit. Im from Spain btw.

So which size do you use? Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hm that's strange, it should be 4 mm unless ibanez doesn't use metric for the indonesian guitars which they do for all others?

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
It's 4mm but the rod ends wear fast so it needs to be a factory 4mm. All wrenches are definitely not the same.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's 4mm but the rod ends wear fast so it needs to be a factory 4mm. All wrenches are definitely not the same.
would it be possible to replace the nut? I wouldn't trust something that soft for future stripping

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
With the same thing, again, use a correct wrench and insert it fully. They round out because people will use anything that says it's 4mm but they're really not.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've never come across any wrench that isn't what it's marked unless it's a fluke... Or a POS chinese tool. I've been using all kinds of hand tools for the past 15 years as a mechanic... By the minute, not weekly. It being an ibanez branded allen wrench doesn't make it any more 4mm than a matco, snap-on, cornwell... Or craftsman allen wrench. I would think it's gotta be egged more than a wrench problem... But then again, idk what tools are offered in spain.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
You are correct, as those are all quality brands. EVERYTHING else you will find on the market is going to be made in china POS. I know because I buy generic wrenches from AAA Metric for stud mods kits or giveaways because factory wrenches are $5 each. The 1.5 won't even tighten a stud set screw, it starts slipping. The 4mm's are pretty close though.

Bottom line is every wrench is not created equal. Buy a cheap wrench and most likely you don't have perfect sizing, and in soft parts it makes a BIG difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know were I can get a factory 4mm? I just don't understand how it can wear fast if the guitar costs 1500$

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
It's the same end that's on a guitar that costs $350.

As said above a good reputable tool company wrench will be right, but it must always be fully inserted to limit rounding out the end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guitar should have come with a factory multi tool.
It did, the red block but it doesn't have a proper one to fit the guitar. Thanks anyway. I think that I'll have to insert the allen key more fully in the nut. Maybe it was that...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the same end that's on a guitar that costs $350.

As said above a good reputable tool company wrench will be right, but it must always be fully inserted to limit rounding out the end.
Why do they do that? When I bought the guitar I though it was top and wasn´t going to have problems with that in the future.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
It's got the same hardware as a $750 guitar too. You're paying for the Premium treatment and the heavy upcharge of a signature model.

If it was the right tool it would have the correct 4mm wrench in it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's got the same hardware as a $750 guitar too. You're paying for the Premium treatment and the heavy upcharge of a signature model.

If it was the right tool it would have the correct 4mm wrench in it.
I mean, at least the wood and pickups are better than a 750$ guitar right?

I'm trying to figure it out with the shop where I bought it because they don't know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That floral jem has to the worst bang for your buck ever.

You pay $1600 for something that looks and fits like almost as bad as a Jr and has a cheap trem. Just paying for the name and cool design.

Amazing how for $1000 you can get the Genesis which destroys this “Jem” in every category possible.

Now look at premium models. Regular RG premiums cost $800. Do you think the floral pattern, inlay and color, handle cost a lot to make? Nope

You’re literally paying $800 extra for a guitar that is actually $800 worth maybe $1000 with all the jem cosmetics.

Everything else is going directly to Ibanez and Steve pockets.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That floral jem has to the worst bang for your buck ever.

You pay $1600 for something that looks and fits like almost as bad as a Jr and has a cheap trem. Just paying for the name and cool design.

Amazing how for $1000 you can get the Genesis which destroys this "Jem" in every category possible.

Now look at premium models. Regular RG premiums cost $800. Do you think the floral pattern, inlay and color, handle cost a lot to make? Nope

You're literally paying $800 extra for a guitar that is actually $800 worth maybe $1000 with all the jem cosmetics.

Everything else is going directly to Ibanez and Steve pockets.
But, still I want to buy that Jem which hapen to great guitar.

I you realy want to save some money, buy some wood plank and some coper and steel and build ti itself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
But, still I want to buy that Jem which hapen to great guitar.

I you realy want to save some money, buy some wood plank and some coper and steel and build ti itself.
If you can get it under $1000 I guess, otherwise is too overpriced for what it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts