Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, this auction came up:

http://cgi.****.com/ws/****ISAPI.dl...E:L:RTQ:US:1&viewitem=&item=260109165823&rd=1

EDIT:

Forgot 'bay links don't work. Item number: 260109165823

As you can see... RG3120 with natural finish. It looks pretty nice from the pictures... like... an RG3120 IN NATURAL FINISH. So, I decided to buy it.

Well, it arrived yesterday and, when I opened the case... it was nice. It played well and sounded great, but it looked a little...rough. Not terrible, just a little raw. I figured it was just the natural finish.

So, I brought it to work with me (guitar teacher) and the owner of the place where I teach was looking at it and said, "Nice guitar, what was on it before?" and I was like, "What? It's natural," and he was like, "No, look there's BLUE in the wood," and then he pointed to the side of the pickup cavity and, sure enough, there was blue paint inside as well as a few other places. There were also scratches in various places on the front and back.

At this point, he concluded that the guitar had originally been blue (TW, maybe?) and had been sanded down. To be sure, though, he got on the phone with an Ibanez rep (they're an Ibanez dealer) and they looked up the serial number and determined that this guitar was, in fact, originally blue.

So, I called the guy I bought it from (had talked on the phone before the auction ended) and explained the situation. He acted very surprised and said he had bought it that way from another source. I told him that I'd keep it if he wanted to reduce the price or he could take it back and refund my money. He agreed to refund my money back, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well, it could have turned out much worse, and providing you didn't HATE the look of it in the flesh I can't really see the problem if the guy didn't know it had been 're-finished'. For that price I would have kept it :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Same here, it looked great. Did it feel or looked that bad in person that you decided to return it??? Price was very reasonable.

Gus.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
There's nothing special about the price on that. I bought an absolutely mint condition 3120 in Deep Red from the Bay last year for $700. It was the 2001 model (now sold to pay for the 550 20th) which I got £500 / $1,000 for. Of course, UK prices are higher on these.

·
JEM Winner #2
1,375 Posts
To be sure, though, he got on the phone with an Ibanez rep (they're an Ibanez dealer) and they looked up the serial number and determined that this guitar was, in fact, originally blue.
I wish we had that kind of access on the internet at least to verify serial numbers. Wonder why they don't have this available to the public?

Glad it worked out for you though. Kind of sucks you didn't get what you wanted, but better than being screwed.

Paul

·
Banned
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To all the people saying I should keep it:

It doesn't look as nice in real life as it does in the pictures. Don't get me wrong, it's not HORRIBLE, but it's not a thing of a beauty.

Secondly, it needs a massive setup. That's about 50 or 60 bucks right there. It needs a better sanding job. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not very neat. You can actually SEE the blue that was originally on there in the wood. It needs to be stained or something. I don't know how much that would cost, but I'd assume it's at least 100 bucks.

So, at this point, if I kept it and did that stuff, it's up to $850 -- at least. It's just not worth it. For that price, I could track down a 3120 in Vintage Violin or even a Twilight Blue for even cheaper.

To me, it's just not worth the price. Not to mention, there's a tiny crack on the back of the neck, near the first fret.

·
Registered
235 Posts
well: i dont see any blue paint on the guitar on the pics. anyway: you need to enjoy playing your guitar. so if you didnt feel comfortable with it you were right is returning it.

as for the setup it is something that, unfortunately, needs to be done...

I am not a pro. i have been playing the guitar on/off for a couple of years but I have always been visiting guitar shops because i just love the instrument...
it is funny how the sales guys when they receive new intruments they just pull them out of the box, hang them and wait for a customer to come and try it...

and dont tell me they are already setup at the factory...

by the way: the natural finish looks really nice on the pics. but what wood is it? (not alder...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts