Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  spkenn5 
isida.d said:
Thankyou for the replies i guess i just needed a little reassurance.

And yes i do play for fun but i'm still having that stupid naieve imature thing of wanting to learn to shred. I guess alot of people go through that phase :(

Thing i'm a little disapointed in is that i live in a small town and the 1 guy who can teach me guitar... not htat i need lessons i've been doing fine without but i decided to take them becuase i wont wave off any help if ya know whati mean?

but he finger picks everything amazingly on electric hes a jazz musician and plays local festivals in the near by larger city. However he cant palm mute much at all or sweep pick. Can you be good without being able to do that? :s
Heavens! - if he can finger pick everything amazingly, he can teach you anything! Jazz is (generally speaking) more complex in tonal, harmonic and time structure than most rock (don't shoot me down here guys - it's just IMHO) - ummm, palm muting is just learning to lean on the bridge a wee bit! - Frank Gambale (another Aussie - yay!) has done some pretty good tutorial books and DVDs/Videos concerning sweep picking and modal playing

I don't know where you are in Australia, but you could always save your pennies and spend an intensive week at say, The Australian Institute of Music (Sydney), or organise some lessons with a really good musician like Peter Northcote (a JEM player, and our No. 1 session guitarist)(http://www.peternorthcote.com/)

..... And besides, if you are too old, I am doomed, and have been for about fifteen years!

Have fun, and play yer ass off - living somewhere a bit remote might actually work to your favour, as you may well find that it lets you develop your own unique style (stumble picking? blunder picking.... no, that's my style...)

Cheers, David McCarrol
Sydney, Australia

Good - oh - the lesson sounded pretty fruitful - I used to take lessons from a staggeringly good player in Sydney called Dieter Kleeman (who co-incidentally was the owner of the first JEM I ever saw - a 777DY - sadly Dieter has moved on to those vile Line6 Variax guitars - I guess you do when you get your guitars for nothing!) - Dieter divided lessons into two parts - a theory part, where he'd go through modes, scales, chords, reading etc, and then he'd ask ME to pick a song which would challenge me, and go about teaching me how to play it, while demonstrating the structure, progression of the song etc - so the great thing was that I a huge amount of theory, but also learned how to correctly play some really cool songs - that approach keeps your motivation very high, as you're not just hammering your way pointlessly through scales. It is pretty cool though when someone shows you the first pentatonic scale shape, and you realise that you can play about 90% of all rock and blues lead breaks with just that weapon!

Where exactly is Warwick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.