Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  spkenn5 
#1 ·
I know that sounds odd but most people i know of start learning guitar when they are alot younger than me. I'm 19 and i originally started when i was 16 but back then i was naieve and expected too much without work. My mistake. Then i picked it up again a few months back and this time around i'm really getting somewhere. But i'm 19... did i wait too late? do you think i can learn to play just as well as anyone who started before me if i really put my mind to it?
Not like its going to help me much but i do hav emusical backround i've been playing piano since i was 5 so about 14 years now so i know my theory pretty good some of it might need polishing up tho and i have an ear for music.
Does anyone know any good guitarists who have started off a little late but have turned out good?

This may seem petty and silly or just plain rediculous to some people but i cant get it out of my head and i just need to see what people think.

Discussion starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thankyou for the replies i guess i just needed a little reassurance.

And yes i do play for fun but i'm still having that stupid naieve imature thing of wanting to learn to shred. I guess alot of people go through that phase :(

Thing i'm a little disapointed in is that i live in a small town and the 1 guy who can teach me guitar... not htat i need lessons i've been doing fine without but i decided to take them becuase i wont wave off any help if ya know whati mean?

but he finger picks everything amazingly on electric hes a jazz musician and plays local festivals in the near by larger city. However he cant palm mute much at all or sweep pick. Can you be good without being able to do that? :s

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Ok a run down at what happened at the guitar lesson.
Todd taught me how to change my strings properly *blush*
I put some D'addario 9's-42's.
He also taught me that thing about tuning a guitar using the 5th fret trick if i dont need to have the tuning perfect.
He then went on to teach me some modal concept shapes and scales.
And how i can make the scale take on different moods by playing them in minors or majors. This part i sadly dont fully remember.
He then for some reason got me memorising the notes on the first 2 strings.
That was pretty much it. I see him again next week.

He brought along a guitar he made himself. It looks beautiful and looks like a totally professional job and has bartellini pickups in it (spelling?) lol.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Warwick is a small town of 10,000 people 2 hours approx away from brisbane. The closest larger town from warwick is toowoomba which has 90,000. People in it.
There is only 1 music store in my town and they only stock ibanez guitars and Peavey amps of stuff i want to buy at least they also stock ashton stuff but i wouldnt touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.
Most of my stuff i order online except i got my guitar from them. A ibanez SZ520 Except it musta been one of the first year of production or something becuase mine didnt come with the duncan/ibanez pickups. Just normal ibanez ones. (you will probably freak out but i payed $995 Australian for my SZ but it did come with a hardcase i guess... but i wish it had of come with the pickups the more modern ones are supposed to knowin gme i woulda changed them anyway)
I plan on changing them i have a few ideas thanks to people on these forums and on the seymour duncan forums. if you want to know i can tell you the ideas i do have....
I got to play my guitar through a Marshall Valve amp at lessons.... it sounded phenominally better than i could imagine the guitar would sound through a normal amp. Thats how much of a difference it makes i know that sounds kinda lame but when your used to using 15 or 30 watt normal practice type amps (Peavey for the 15watt line6 for the 30) its kinda amazing how much better your guitar can sound through a great quality amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.