Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I just picked up a completely raped (i.e. stripped of all hardware except one pickup, the base of the Kahler trem, and one volume pot) BC Rich NJ series Warlock. I only paid 20 bucks for this stripped hulk plus a cheap-as-dirt useless acoustic guitar made by Johnson.. and I find myself wondering why now.

Anyhow, The Warlock (what's left of it) has a pretty cool looking paint job, it was a base of metallic red, mostly covered by grey skulls and flames. The back was mostly greens and yellows, and looks like it might have had a couple faces in it at one point, but it's pretty worn and/or scratched so I can't tell what (or who) the faces might have been.

The biggest curiosity for me, is that I am pretty sure all NJ series BC Rich guitars were made either in Japan or Korea, but this one has a neck plate that says it was made in LA California USA, and has a serial number of B 7770. (I thought the serial number was a nice coincidence seeing that I'm posting on the JEMsite :p )

Has anyone ever seen a NJ series Rich that was made here in the states? I'm thinking someone switched the neck plates with a USA made BC Rich to try impressing their friends or something..

The headstock is what says NJ series btw..

Cheers,

Eric

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
i saw an NJ that was made in korea tho. back of the headstock said the name (nj warlock or whatever it was) and under the serial # it said korea. how?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i saw an NJ that was made in korea tho. back of the headstock said the name (nj warlock or whatever it was) and under the serial # it said korea. how?
N.J.'s initially started in Nagoya, Japan. However, I believe sometime in the 90's they switched to Korea.

Also OP, the L.A. neck plate is where the guitar was sent and put together, then sent out to the dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am hopeing to get some info on mine too...bc rich nj series floyd rose says kahler made in usa all gold hardware..neck plat says bc rich made in la california usa any help please!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
MADE IN JAPAN! thats all folks! Your guitar is NOT and will never be American. Now smile and go widdly widdly all day long.

·
Registered
55 Posts
N.J.'s initially started in Nagoya, Japan. However, I believe sometime in the 90's they switched to Korea.

Also OP, the L.A. neck plate is where the guitar was sent and put together, then sent out to the dealers.
Wrong on both counts mate

Construction of the N.J.Series shifted from Nagoya, to the Cort Factory in Korea in 1986

The neckplate was put on it where it was made, The L.A.California neckplate was used to show where the Parent company was based :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about the B.C.Rich made in ( " NEPTUNE NEW JERSEY!! " ) there's your original N.J. Gees Really Guitarist? Enthusiast lol? This is just now being brought up on a site full of Guitarist ENTHUSIAST ;) Hmmmm :( And I don't even own one out of 83 Guitars, & in NO hurry to buy one at any cost. Had several never one worth really hanging on to.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What about the B.C.Rich made in ( " NEPTUNE NEW JERSEY!! " ) there's your original N.J. Gees Really Guitarist? Enthusiast lol? This is just now being brought up on a site full of Guitarist ENTHUSIAST ;) Hmmmm :( And I don't even own one out of 83 Guitars, & in NO hurry to buy one at any cost. Had several never one worth really hanging on to.
Neptune, NJ was Kramer IIRC

·
Registered
64 Posts
The ghost of Ed Roman! Didn't he wind up getting BC Rich away from Bernie at some point (late 80s/early 90s maybe)? He was still in NJ, before he fled the jurisdiction and set up shop in Vegas. I think that was why Bernie started the "Mason Bernard" line of superstrat models, but he was eventually able to get the BC Rich name back from Roman after several years of legal maneuvering.

I remember the "NJ" models being the import BC Rich line back in the early 1980s, and it standing for "Negoya Japan" at the time they came out circa 1981/82.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Bcrich rich bass nj series with the made in LA Calf plate on it, I know for positive this is the correct plate for the person I purchased it from bought in new. I have looked all over for info on it and the only info I can find is they made nj series guitars in the custom shop. Back then you could get what ever you wanted if you payed for it. It also has gold plated trim, which I am no fan of. Good luck on your project and don't give up on the made in the USA because it is possible!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nagoya Japan
Got it
So how do you date it?
Mine has serial B9407
Guessing 1994?
And then by the previous
Probably Korean by Cort?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts