Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m looking for a 100W amp. After looking around the amps I have selected are these:

- JCM 900 Dual Reverb ($1200, second hand with cabinet)
- JCM 2000 TSL100 ($1500, second hand with cabinet)
- JCM 2000 DSL100 ($1300, second hand with cabinet)
- Carvin Legacy ($2200, new with cabinet)
- VHT Sig:X ($3000, new without cabinet)

I would take the VHT but it´s too expensive for me now, moreover adding a cabinet). The Carvin is attractive to me too, but I have never tried one before and as I play Jems there is too much Vai hanging around. Finally the JCM came all with de 1960 cabinet, but I´m worried about several bad reports on the JCM2000´s. I think that I´m buying the JCM900 for it´s 90´s metal feel but I´m considering seriously the 2000 series too.

Any help comparing these amps (especially the JCM2000 vs 900 series would be appreciated)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the DSL100 and DSL50's, but personally I'd get an older JCM800 type amp, but it'd be less flexible . . . .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, what about a JVM410?

100W, 4 channels that cover most of Marshall classic tone.

...and yes, it has an awful lot of gain on the two high gain channels. After hearing it, you will forget about the JCM900.

Check out some UK sites. There are definitely some bargain out there with such a low £.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
How is the Legacy price so high? Are you going for the Legacy II or is it because you are in spain. Also I think the JCM800 is a nice metal style amp but as colin said, less flexible. The Legacy will need an attenuator unless you like going deaf haha.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If you've got that money, look at Splawns. The Quick Rod absolutely pounces on all of the amps listed above for hard rock, Marshall tones. A head is $1850 new and a Splawn 4x12 is around $700. I've seen great condition heads go for as low as $1200 though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I actually had both amps, a Marshall JCM900 4100 dual reverb head (5881 tubes model) and then a TSL100 head. I bought both brand new. I sold the 900 for the TSL, then sold the TSL for my Soldano SLO100.......and there is no looking back for me. In my opinion, and again, just my opinion, I would describe the 900 Marshall as ice-picky distortion (but I never tried one with EL34's) and the TSL as somewhat of a crunchy/buzzy distortion. In all honesty, I just don't think I'm a huge fan of 'modern' marshall overdrive. It's all a matter of opinion, though, and to me, I guess I've always truly yearned what my SLO does......more of a liquidy, ballsy, smooth gain sound, 3 dimensional with harmonics galore. For some people , the Marshall sound is it, and some people sound fabulous through modern marshalls. For me, my guitars, and playing style, it just wasn't for me. In closing, it would be best if you could try em all out, cuz the way you hear them will be unique to you and what you are going for in your head. Speaking from experience, it can take years of buying and selling to arrive at "your dream amp" when you buy amps based on what others say about them without hearing them yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you've got that money, look at Splawns. The Quick Rod absolutely pounces on all of the amps listed above for hard rock, Marshall tones. A head is $1850 new and a Splawn 4x12 is around $700. I've seen great condition heads go for as low as $1200 though.

Man, I have been a mesa guy for a long long time, but I have been doing some research on the Splawn and I am really impressed. It seems it nails a lot of different tones. I am thinking of jumping ship on my MarkIV for something different. I want to hear the V first.

Getting back to the subject, have you checked out the V3 from carvin? I have heard good things about it. Also the hughes and kettner switchblade, a lot of features. Their web page has an awesome video of Thomas Blug, check it out.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the Legacy price so high? Are you going for the Legacy II or is it because you are in spain. Also I think the JCM800 is a nice metal style amp but as colin said, less flexible. The Legacy will need an attenuator unless you like going deaf haha.
It is because I am in Spain.

Thank you guys for your usefull suggestions.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I second the Splawn - I've got one of the older 3 preamp tube ones - and the thing can blow womens clothes off. I figured it'd be really expensive for you though (I got mine used).

·
Registered
201 Posts
go play a randall MTS RM100 or any MTS head or combo. go to randallamplifiers.com, click the link to the forum and listen to a wide varities of recordings from peoples home studios to get a clear idea of what this amp is capable of and what it can produce. you'll be suprised.
once i seriuosly made the effort to play this amp. i sold my duel rec to the first buyer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Actually I can afford anything, but I don´t want to spend $3000 on a head that I´m not going to gig al least for a year. So I have made a decission. I´m going to get de JCM900 for 900 euros (here the cabinets cost around 700-800 euros) and get the JCM900 head in the pack. If I start gigging and need a better amp I´ll buy one a Bogner Ectasy or a VHT Pitbull Ultralead heads thorught the Spanish dealers. Also I can change the 5881 tubes of the JCM for 6550 or EL34´s to make it sound better at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
677 Posts
+1 on the JVM's. During my last gas attack I had different higher gain amps in mind, and while I was most scelptical about the JVM's, they impressed me the most. Even de the clean was nice! and very versatily as well. 12 voicings. And indeed, with the rediculous £, they are a steal. Quite some shops ship to western Europe around 20-30£

·
Registered
394 Posts
The jcm900 and 800's are great for what they do, but the versatality is kinda short.
The jvm kills in that department and the gain is crazy too.
I can't say anything bad about the sig x, other than i'd buy the vht badged one and not a fryette (new one).
if you didn't need a lot of gain i'd check out the blackstar heads.

But since i'm from north carolina I'll give my bottom line opinion to the splawn's
unless you find a deal on a krankenstein :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
need to know what style and application you are using the amp for.. the jcm 900 really doesnt sound its best unless its at a high volume and/or in the mix of a band

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Legacy will need an attenuator unless you like going deaf haha.
Not true if you're going for the Legacy II, looking at the price I guess you are?

The Legacy II has the same Low power settings as the X100B re-issue with a 25 Watt setting.

Good tones can be had at Bedroom volumes on the X100B and I have heard the same is true of the Legacy II.

How about the X100B re-issue.....considerably cheaper than the Legacy II.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The legacy 2 seems like a waste and it's sorta ugly but maybe later I'll get one and take off that horrid green panel and maybe I'll like it more than my current legacy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To be honest I tend to agree.....I guess you have seen the pics of my Snakeskin Legacy?

I feel the Legacy II price is way over the top.......Particularly for a 3 channel amp that's not really a 3 channel amp (if you know what I mean)
God knows what one would cost here in the UK now the £ is weaker!!

The Old style Legacy's can be had a lot cheaper but as you say with one of those an attenuator is a good move.

I use the Mass III.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts