Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not looking strictly for metal/hard rock here, but something that's nasty enough to do strong instrumental and alternative rock - think Satch on 'Mind Storm' or 'Lights of Heaven', or bands like Brand New, Nine Inch Nails and Thrice. Heavy, crunchy-but-clear distorted low end and extremely clear, screaming high-end.

Preferably a low-to-med wattage tube amp. Around 10-15 watts would be great. Ideally portable as well, and around/under $500-600 new.

I'm heavily considering the Orange Tiny Terror, since it's really handy and portable, and from what I've heard it has a pretty good crunchy rock tone.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
They don't really make "Modern High Gain" low wattage combos, AFAIK. The new Mini-Colossal Peavey might be, but it doesn't seem like a gain monster.

If you're not playing out, and you need it quiet, at your price range solid state gear is gonna be the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
the amp you described isnt practical.. low wattage tube amps are made for cranking to get power tube overdrive.. you are not going to get the sound you are looking for in a 112 combo.. are you talking about using this for live, or for practicing

·
Registered
397 Posts
Gimme a couple of weeks to get my Tiny Terror through and I'll post a video of it if you want.
Tiny Terror doesn't have modern heavy gain, or at least from the soundclips i've heard. It sounded to me like a hot rodded classic rock distortion. Have I been misled?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Tiny Terror doesn't have modern heavy gain, or at least from the soundclips i've heard. It sounded to me like a hot rodded classic rock distortion. Have I been misled?
Well, I plugged into the Rocker 50 or something, which the shop guy set up to approximate a TT as best as he could, in his experience of the TT. It was rather metal! Lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, from what I've heard from the Tiny Terror the distortion isn't too bad. And I always have the option of using distortion pedals, I guess.

I was considering a used Laney AOR combo, but I'm kinda afraid those might be too loud (they're 30 watts). They look real sweet, though, and from what I hear they have great distorted tone.

I'm going to be using this for mostly practice and jam sessions. That's another reason I was looking at the Tiny Terror - I can switch it from 15 to 7 watts the volume is too high.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
used mesa dual caliber or used .50 cal . they have a lot of gain and satch used a .50 caliber head to record flying in a blue dream . i love that tone . you may even find a used f series mesa for that much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts