Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new amp and I'm currently looking at a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, ENGL Powerball, and VHT Pitball 50/CL. I'm looking for an amp that has a real smooth lead tone. For music such as Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert type stuff. Out of these 3 amp's which one do you think could get me a smooth tone like that but still be able to push it for heavier rhythm type stuff. Thank's everyone. I can't try these amp's out where I live. I'd especially like to know about the VHT out of all of those.

·
Registered
873 Posts
nick911sc said:
I'm looking for an amp that has a real smooth lead tone.
how bout instead of dual recto for real smooth lead tone.. try a Mark IV or nomad series. Dual Rectos, for me, gave mesas a bad rep. they were not smooth at all. very girtty and harsh and in your face. i played the Mark IV and was blown away with how smooths the leads could get. it also can get pretty heavy for rock, but not in your face lie the recto. i dont' knwo much about the other 2 though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry mate can't help you out with the VHT, but i can tell you about he Mesa Mark IV......

.....IT'S AMAZING!

I don't think i've ever achieved such a nice lead tone from that amp. I tried it out with some crappy godin guitar and even with that it just sounded out of this world. Mark IV really is the way to go i think

·
Registered
312 Posts
nick911sc said:
How heavy can the rythm's get on a Mark IV? I've always contemplated getting something along the lines of a Legacy but I don't know how heavy their rhythm's can get.
The rhythms can get pretty heavy and sound pretty good. Very tight and articulate.

One amp i would suggest not touching is the Mesa Rectoverb, it sounded damn awful. If you put the gain up it sounded far too thin and raspy, take some gain off and it sounded dead. To me it sounded terrible like an over expensive Crate

·
Registered
631 Posts
Engl are the sweetest amps I ever heard, sometimes though you do feel they are geared more towards a "metal" player even though the clean channels are just as nice. Have played a mesa and i wasn't overly impressed by it compared to the engl.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Dude, try to A/B them. Wait until you can play one if need be. If you really like the sound of what you do get to hear, then buy it! :)

If it was me, I would go with the ENGL hands down. As for Mesa - I think they have better amps than the rectos like Mark IVs, Stilletos or Nomads but they arent my thing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
maliciousteve said:
Sorry mate can't help you out with the VHT, but i can tell you about he Mesa Mark IV......

.....IT'S AMAZING!

I don't think i've ever achieved such a nice lead tone from that amp. I tried it out with some crappy godin guitar and even with that it just sounded out of this world. Mark IV really is the way to go i think
Not at the Music Live show by any chance? I tried one there too and the only guitar to play it with was a Godin. I agree though, very very nice tone and hugely versatile. People say you need to tweak them for ages, but I was pretty satisfied with most of the sounds I was getting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.