Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is right section to ask, but just noticed (after being boxed for about a year) when I turn on my amp I here what sounds like the tubes making a ding sound. Sorta like they are warming up. It goes on when I turn off them off too. I decided to look at them and noticed one of the 6L6's has slight blue and the other does not. Using a 6505+ combo.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Do you hear it through the speaker or only the tubes themselves?
They could’ve used cheap tubes, as I have never noticed thermal pinging as my amps warmed up from the output.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes from the upper cabinet. I made sure I had the back off when I turned it on. Also, not sure if this is normal but when I turn the pre/post volumes I get this static type sound out of the speaker.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Your pots are dirty.
It’s not a tough fix, but if you’re not familiar with tube amps, I would not attempt it.
Sounds like she just needs a checkup and cleaning. If the tubes are otherwise fine and not noisy when you play them, it’s just thermal expansion of the glass and metal inside. Don’t fret over it.
If the tubes are microphonic and you hear every little bump to the amp through the speaker or a ringing when you play, they need to be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.