Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 Years after a hard recovery from G.A.S., I finally become a Jem owner again. Got a fairly good deal off evilbay for a 88 JEM777DY. For a player condition guitar, this one is really sweet - only a few chips and dings, very few scratches on the pickguard (which is rare) and the maple board is almost too clean for a 17 years old guitar. The pink pickups are faded as expected, but all the hardware is in good shape. I don't mind not having the latest Edge and AANJ. In fact the older Jem sound is what I was going after.

My first Jem was a 2001 BSB. I still miss it because it's my all-time favorite sounding Jem. Later I acquired a used Mint VBK and sent to Herc Fede for a fantastic GMC swirl (with a touch of pink). Changed out the PAF Pros to Breeds. That was my second favorite Jem.

After that I went through a bunch of different IBZ guitars, including a NOS JEM90HAM, new JPM P2, a used PBK (also swirled), a used JS-6, a brand new UV777BK and a beater RG-550 which was supposed to be another swirl project. My wife wasn't too happy seeing my expanding guitar collection against our shrinking savings account. All of these were sold not long after I got my RG-GOLD1 which is the only Ibanez I kept until now. I still like the RG-GOLD1 but I must say I do not find it as hot sounding as a Jem. I love the clean sound of the RG-GOLD which I use mostly for rythm tracks, but I just cannot get that "bite" from the GOLD. I guess that's the nature of an Ash body.

The DY arrived earlier this week. Played for hours and still don't want to put it down. I guess I really miss the old Jem sound. The only thing I may do to it is to change the pickups to Evos. Can't decide yet because I like the vintage Jem sound just as much as the Evos.

About the DY color - My first Ibanez was a FGM100 DY. I love that bright Desert Sun Yellow color, it's so 80's (hey, can't help it I grew up in those days). FGM is a great model, very playable especially with the Wizard neck (or is it Wizard II?) but the S-body FGM does not have enough wood IMHO.

Back in 1988, I paid something like $750 for the FGM100 which was a pretty good deal. It was the most pricy guitar I bought at that time, considering the most expensive guitar I own was a $450 Kramer. At the time a JEM777DY or SK was already over a thousand bucks. I actually wanted a JEM777DY so bad but couldn't afford one.

So they say things come to a full circle. Now I finally own a JEM777DY.

At Guitar Center in Concord, CA, there is a 91 Jem777DY hanging on the wall. It's been there for at least 5 years (still there today). You guessed it right, they price this to sell - that's if you are willing to pay $1750 for a used JEM777DY.

HERE'S THE LINK TO PICTURES OF ALL MY GUITARS:
http://www.geocities.com/swirljem/IBZCollection.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't change the pickups to Evos, man... in my opinion, that would defeat the whole purpose of going for a '88 DY. The '88 DY is actually quite similar to the modern VW ... the only major difference being the pickups. I always believe that the main thing that affects the sound of a guitar is not so much the woods or whatever, but the pickups used.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sirocco said:
I always believe that the main thing that affects the sound of a guitar is not so much the woods or whatever, but the pickups used.
I tend to agree to a certain extent. Rigt now I am tempted to change the pickups on my RG-GOLD. I've heard the Tone Zone on other J-Customs and they sound different. I've never own an Ash body guitar except the GOLD. I just don't like the sound of the bridge pickup for some reason.

I think I will take the advice not changing the PAF Pros to Evos on the DY - keep it original is probably the best thing to do :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ok, I'm going to make it a personal mission to harrass people who post stuff like this without pics.

Pics. Post them. Please. Thank you.

(Oh, I'm a little stumped by your tonal comparisons between the Jem and the RG. An ash guitar should cut much better than one made of basswood. What pickups do you have in the RG?)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
moro said:
Ok, I'm going to make it a personal mission to harrass people who post stuff like this without pics.

Pics. Post them. Please. Thank you.
I'll try.

moro said:
(Oh, I'm a little stumped by your tonal comparisons between the Jem and the RG. An ash guitar should cut much better than one made of basswood. What pickups do you have in the RG?)
On the GOLD, you have a typical J-Custom arrangement:
Neck - Air Norton
Middle - Blue Velvet
Bridge - Tone Zone
Well, it's all pretty subjective when it comes to tonal preferences. I don't gig any more so I don't use ANY type of amps nowadays. So I am only making "comparison" between the Jem and the GOLD based on hearing it through a POD. I would imagine if I plug the GOLD into a decent tube amp and turn it up, it will be a different story. But I love the "clean" sound of the RG-GOLD. It's warmer and not as glassy as a Str*t.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Congrats on "Falling Off The Wagon".

I too, am a hopeless GAS junkie destined to O.D. on wood and steel.....

I owned a DY for awhile and I had a FRED in the neck and an EVO in the bridge. Probably do it again if (when) I get another one....great sounding guitar. If yours is a player, go ahead and change out stuff....just keep the original electronics in case (when) you sell it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
sirocco said:
Don't change the pickups to Evos, man... in my opinion, that would defeat the whole purpose of going for a '88 DY. The '88 DY is actually quite similar to the modern VW ... the only major difference being the pickups. I always believe that the main thing that affects the sound of a guitar is not so much the woods or whatever, but the pickups used.
I agree with sirocco,
if you like EVO's sound it would be better to go for a 7VWH... after having a good plan for your next fight with your wife!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
sirocco said:
Yeah that Jem should have the PAF Pros in it. If he wants an Evo sound, he wants an Evo sound though, but the PAF Pros sound really good too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tubarão Guitars said:
Some chance to show us pics of your owned swirls, David? :D
I posted them before when I had hosting space from my ISP. I like to post pics once I find a way. Any suggestion on free pix posting?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow. 8O That is an awesome collection. (Both the old ones and your current guitars.) Thanks for posting.

The swirled Strat is very cool. Where is the neck from on that one? The swirl on the VBK is amazing too. I love how distinct the borders are between the colors. Who did the swirls for you?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moro said:
Wow. 8O That is an awesome collection. (Both the old ones and your current guitars.) Thanks for posting.

The swirled [email protected] is very cool. Where is the neck from on that one? The swirl on the VBK is amazing too. I love how distinct the borders are between the colors. Who did the swirls for you?
The swirled [email protected] was originally a 85 Japanese Squire. The frets on that original neck worn out rather quickly. I bought a 22-fret Radius 540 neck from a fellow jemsiter few years back. I was suprised how the it fits perfectly to the Squire body. This Squire is my very first guitar, so instead of getting rid of it, I customized it to something I can enjoy playing. I used to have EMG-S pickups installed, but replaced 'em with standard F*nder [email protected] pickups because of the hassle of changing batteries on the EMG.

Herc Fede did all the swirl jobs (Strat, then the VBK and finally the red PBK). He did an excellent job on both the VBK and the PBK :) I don't think he swirls any more because he is busy with his band and music.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Damn, those are some beautiful swirls!!!!!! I really like that GMC with the pink in it and your current blue swirled strat.
Everytime somebody posts some of Herc's work it makes me crazy knowing he's not taking orders anymore. With all the guys on here who seem to love swirls, i'm surprised there's not more people learning to do it, and offering the service.
Did Herc do that blue swirl on your strat?
peace

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Im finding myself lusting after that PBK the more I look at it. It's perfect, man......I want it. :lol:
Why'd you sell it? Who owns it now?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
freedom's door said:
With all the guys on here who seem to love swirls, i'm surprised there's not more people learning to do it, and offering the service.
I loooooove swirls.
I'm learning everyday doing it, since 1992.
I'm not offering it to AMERICAN and OVERSEAS customers since all of you have the great DJ himself ;)
I dont offer this service here since it's against forum rules.
Someday i'll open my very own north american custom shop. someday... :D
out,
Tubarão.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts