Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys played his guitar?I don't hear much about his guitar on this site.It seems like a nice guitar.Any of you guys own one or played one would love to hear what your thoughts on her are?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm a big Timmons fan, but his signature guitars are pretty hard to come by in the UK.

I was thinking about an AT300, I'm informed by a dealer who has had one that it has quite a chunky neck

Not much help but at least you got a reply!

New Andy album out soon - can't wait

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's a guitarstore not far away from where I live that has an AT 200, I think. I will probaby try it out this weekend or in the beginning of next week. I could post my impressions here afterwards.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The AT300 hardly has a "chunky" neck. It's VERY similar to a JS Prestige neck IMHO. Extremely comfortable, fast...basically a cross between a JS and a great Strat neck. Overall, the AT300 is probably one of my all-time favorites out of the 200+ Ibanez' I've owned. :)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
vaijem777 said:
The AT300 hardly has a "chunky" neck. It's VERY similar to a JS Prestige neck IMHO. Extremely comfortable, fast...basically a cross between a JS and a great Strat neck. Overall, the AT300 is probably one of my all-time favorites out of the 200+ Ibanez' I've owned. :)
I must have been mis-informed :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
The AT300 is an awesome guitar. I got to play one while I was in Osaka a while back. Definitely not a Wizard neck, more like a Strat as the others have said. Still, it's a beautiful axe, great tone, nice feel. I almost bought one over my JCRG8270. Maybe next trip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hmmmm

More like a Strat eg?
Kool sort of. I know that when he was endorsing Kramers
back in the day, his Nightswan II had a smaller scale neck and
a R1 lock nut/neck.
uper small at the top opposed to our lovely average R2/R3
size we currently play.

Andy Totally Rockssss.

Squeeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just thought I'd add the info that I received from Ibanez customer service regarding the neck specs for the Andy Timmons model. It appears to be narrow, yet slightly chunky...at least for an Ibanez...slightly thicker at the nut than a Wolfgang neck, slightly thinner than a Clapton or SRV strat; but not as thick as any of those further up the neck. Slightly thicker than a Warmoth standard thin. Quite a bit thicker than the Wizard.

Here are the specs for the AT model.

WIDTH
NUT-40.5mm (1.594" or 1-19/32"...just under 1-5/8")
LAST FRET- 56mm (2.2047")

THICKNESS
1ST FRET-21mm (0.8267")
12TH FRET- 23mm (0.9055")

RADIUS-305MM (not compound) (12 inch radius)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two other questions about the AT300...

-Is the top of the body routed so that you can pull the bar back and bend up, like it is on a Carvin with a Wilky (or any Fender American Deluxe bridge), or is it like Warmoth's Wilky route where you can dive bomb but you can't pull up on the bar?

-What sort of neck heel is on the AT300? Is it shaped like a traditional bulky Strat neck heel, or does it have the JEM's unlimited upper fret access neck heel? Or, is it somewhere in the middle, like a JS1200?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have an AT300 and it's among my favorite Ibys. The heel is the AANJ ("all access neck joint), same as the AANJ's on most other high end Ibanez bolt-on necks. The JS1200 has a different heel -- contoured, but not the AANJ.

No, the trem is not back-routed -- the route is the standard vintage trem routing. That trem (Wilkinson VSV) is my favorite, all purpose trem. It requires some tinkering to get it right, but it's feels and sounds great. Listen to what Andy does with it.

Bert

·
Registered
7 Posts
Van,

The way I understood what he said, it's routed like a vintage trem... which you can do chord vibrato on. You can't do crazy bend-ups... but you can pull up a little.

AANJ, huh? Sweet. I want an AT300!

Drew

·
Registered
949 Posts
Van, although there is no route into the top of the body, you can still adjust the angle of the trem so that you can pull up from 1 to 1-1/2 steps. It's basically like a fancy vintage strat trem, but with some nice features that make it more useable. So bend-ups, chord vibrato, and all the usual stuff works just fine. Andy does a lot of wacky stuff with his. You just have to learn how to set up a strat trem properly.

There are tips on the web about setting up a vintage trem from Andy, Scott Henderson, Carl Verheyen, and others.

Bert

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.