Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a JS2480 that cosmetically good, third time lucky. This one seems to have an issue with the Sustainic circuit, the 3 way toggle switch doesn't operate as I'd expect.

1. Switch forward - sustain driver
2. Switch middle - does nothing
3. Switch to rear - harmonic driver

So the middle position does effectively nothing, its supposed to mix the sustain and harmonic modes. I really don't want to return this one for exchange or repair if its something I can repair or adjust myself myself.

Any other JS2480 owners seem a similar problem and been able to sort it themselves?

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
The middle should turn your low notes into harmonics after a few seconds, doesn't do much if anything for high notes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It should be easy to fix, there should be a capacitor for mix mode, check the wiring to the back of the switch and compare with sustainiacs website instructions.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be easy to fix, there should be a capacitor for mix mode, check the wiring to the back of the switch and compare with sustainiacs website instructions.
Soldering all looks good so I've multi-metered the switch terminals for continuity test and will submit the result to sustainic support.

Will update with progress.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I have one and I feel the mix mode, sometimes does a slower onset of feedback and in a lower harmonic than harmonic mode, but in some places it does nothing. When it does result in feedback it's a little more natural sounding than harmonic mode.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found this, there is a section on "no mix mode" http://www.sustainiac.com/troubleshoot.pdf

Capacitor is an electrolytic and no sign of it being shorted out by solder, its only shorted out when the toggle switch is in the forward and back positions, but not the middle, as its supposed to (I guess!). I'll await the response from Sustainiac.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had this reply from Alan at Sustainiac support, and interestingly my bridge pickup does seem very low (only just proud of the pickup ring), so there is some adjustment to do...............

"In the middle position (Mix mode) the sustainer output signal goes through the 22uF capacitor. If the cap is shorted, you will simply get Normal mode in that position. It is possible that the cap is open. If so, you can tack-solder another to the original cap’s terminals. If that makes it work, then you can replace the cap.

Mix mode is the weakest of the 3 modes. It could be that your bridge pickup and also the Sustainiac driver are set way to far from the strings. Both should be set to approximately 1/16 inch from the little e-string, and 1/8 to 3/16 inch from the big E.

Alan Hoover
Maniac Music Inc."

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the bridge pickup height! Just too low for the mix mode to work.

What do you guys think of the neck pickup on the JS2480? Its certainly not got the pure magic of the Paf Joe, anyone prefer it over the SatchTrack? Sadly I sold my JS2410 so can't compare.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It just clears but does feel way too close now, need to adjust it down a bit and see at which point the 'mix' position stops working. Got to admit I'm growing less fond of the neck pickup, not as articulate, verging on muddy/lacking definition. I guess every 2480 owner really also needs a 2450!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Anyone else found if you engage the sustainiac, reduce your volume knob to about 25% you get a pulsing, 'tremolo' type effect happening? I agree with OCDemon, wish Joe would ditch the sustainiac models and go back to a Satch Track, the sustainiac seems to be temperamental, and prone to all sorts of strange behaviour.... if you want reliability, get a JS with a regular passive neck pickup.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, mine does that also. I suppose with the sustainiac equipped guitars its not impossible to revert to standard pickups. That's assuming the neck pickup screw holes align up nicely with the holes used by the sustainiac mounting screws, to avoid having to make a mess.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I think that the 2480 is cool. Or the JS1CR, but I would hope this doesn't stay the new standard for JS. I feel like the 2410/2450 is a superior guitar tonally and it's more reliable, no batteries or odd circuit board anomalies. I guess for Joe, he always wants a sustainer available in his live guitars, I think if I was playing a show, I'd use the sustainer guitar on certain songs, but I'd prefer a regular JS most of the time. Just one opinion. I think Sean is in the same boat. Wonder if anyone is just floored by the sustainer and it's their new #1 guitar.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I’m using the sustainiac JSs for 2/3 of our songs, but.... I only use the sustainiac once... I could easily get away without it.... I too think I’d prefer a normal passive rail pickup in the neck.... for what the sustainiac does, it just seems too much hassle to keep it running perfectly, and adds cost to the JS.... I guess Joe doesn’t care tho, it works for him..... but I’d say once people buy a JS with a sustainiac, they might be reluctant to buy more?... sales may drop?.... I’m sure if there is a new JS in 2020 it will have one, and I’ll buy it, won’t stop me. But I agree the 2410/50 has more tonal options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was interested in a JS2480 specifically for the Sustainiac. Don't seem to have these issues with my Schecter. I love the Sustainiac on that guitar. It's paired with an active Fishman fluence

Now considering a 2410 or JS24, and using the Digitech Freqout I have been using with my Jem.

It has enhanced functionality over the sustainiac, but the Sustainiac seems much more organic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts