Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got this a couple weeks ago locally from a fellow jemsiter [thanks Akh!]. Last time I came across one of these was 6 - 7 years ago at GC and really wanted one ever since. Luckily, Akh hooked it up!
First things first, I pryed out the electronics and hardware from my other RG7. I took the 1077xl apart, installed the original LP7, matched the locking nut and string tree with the rest of the hardware, wired 'er up with green and black pups and eventually put new strings... unfortunately, I bought the wrong set of strings at first (higher tension) for standard Bb. I eventually found "spare" strings and bought a few and re-strung 'em for "balanced tension". Now it plays just as great as my UVGR.
Then I e-mailed Dimarzio last week regarding the "custom 7 single coil" and the possibility of fitting chrome poles to match with the rest of the pickups... they said no problem and mailed me a set after giving them my address.
As for the pups themselves, I had to do some electronics autopsy cause they didn't "sound right". After good few hours rewiring it, it was ready to rock. I initially mounted it in reverse [with the bar towards the bridge] but eventually mounted normally for that warmer "chug", plus the axe looks more balanced now. :p
anyhow, enjoy!

before I got the axe...

... after cleaning and setting 'er up.

baritone approved

mmm... bounded 7 string neck and offset abalone dots...

more on next post...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

that's a huge stripe!

luckily, i have a UV case to spare :p

might have to get a .066 for the low B and tune that to Ab...
might also look into a brass sustain block... i know this might be a silly question but the block for an Edge/LP/LP7 is pretty much the same width?

Reg

·
Registered
769 Posts
that's pretty cool man... I've been getting Duncan Custom Shop stacked singles for the middle of my main ones. It's like an HS-3 tonally with staggered poles. Good stuff... i've yet to try the Cl and 'fires. A friend of mine has them in his MM Petrucci and digs 'em.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SD did come out with a couple production 7 single coils so i might be checking that sooner or later... Otherwise, I don't mind the stock middle for now... it's what makes the axe unique per se :p
definitely check out those Petrucci pups. CL7 sounds like an angrier Evo7 without the "shrill" on the high notes while the LF7 sounds like a Paf Pro and a Chopper, very smooth and "bubbly".

Reg

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey I didn't see the bars in the pics...did they get there okay? Also, I haven't forgotten your switch. It's just been busy here...lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ya... forgot to strap the bar on for the pix. I did get 'em last week... been busy on my end as well, mostly with actual work and getting this axe all setup :p

Reg

·
Registered
163 Posts
smooth upgrade. Brings the RB to life. Please post if you ever make any sound clips with it. I'd like to hear those pups in the XL.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys... been trying to rock out between this and the UVGR and it's a tough choice playing the two, though the GR is much more comfortable for my [small] hands :p

Sweet looking axe, sir! I would love an XL someday.

What gauges are you using on there?
for now, EB .058, .044, .032, .024, .017, .012, .009

Reg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts