Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Black, red or purple.
Back to EMG81/85 instead of the Seymour Duncans. I wonder whether this will run alongside or instead of the RG8420ZD?

Ikebe are advertising them already although Ibanez haven't updated their site yet.

Currently top of this page:
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/search_fair.php?fairId=48

Other than that presumably same specs as RG8420ZD.
Or think of it as 2006's RG8420FE but with the newer tremolo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh my! Ibanez, could you please ditch the Edge Zero and go back to Edge pro (w. locking studs) or Lo-Pro Edge, kthxbai. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh my! Ibanez, could you please ditch the Edge Zero and go back to Edge pro (w. locking studs) or Lo-Pro Edge, kthxbai. :D
Just out of curiosity, I'm not pointing fingers or anything. But... do you have any guitar with the edge zero trem?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I'm not pointing fingers or anything. But... do you have any guitar with the edge zero trem?
I don't own one but I've tested them. I don't like the looks of the trem (including the oversized trem cavity) and I think the EP and LPE feel better. It's just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't own one but I've tested them. I don't like the looks of the trem (including the oversized trem cavity) and I think the EP and LPE feel better. It's just a matter of preference.
The oversized trem cavity, as someone already pointed here, helps you to access the screws without damaging the guitar... besides that, if you were to replace the bridge, you have the routing ready :D
But seriously, I have that tremolo on one of my guitars and I've never found a flaw... I guess it's true that you can't teach new tricks to an old dog :lol: No offense. But yeah, I'm like that sometimes, it's hard to get used to new stuff without going back and comparing it to the old one.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sexy, the emg's look nice in it but I rather have dimarzios.

Also I would take it with any trem but I still would prefer the Lo-Pro over anything. That doesn't stop me from getting a guitar as you can tell from my 2 Edge Pro equipped Ibanezes, and maybe in the future an Edge Zero equipped.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd rather no inlay or small offset dots.
I gotta have at least some inlays, myself. I keep getting lost up on the high frets on my S320.

The problem with unmarked or tree of life is that demarcating the 'dotted' from 'undotted' frets becomes difficult. The side dots don't suffice from all angles, for me. Still, I think I'd learn to live with it, if I had that axe! Just saying a custom job for me would probably be that but an 18v mod on the EMGs and some sharkfin or dot inlays. I'd this green burst finish for a personal touch, as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought one yesterday in Japan. It blew my mind! I had a competition going on with the PGM reissue and this one, but the jcustom really was something else. It is a absolutely maginificent guitar for metal and heavy rock.

simply unbeliableIf you are looking for precise specs, the guitar in question is RG 8420ZE in Purple Amethyst.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I don't own one
That was all I needed to read before I knew what to think.

I'll say it now, I think theres way too much backlash over things here when they change to the new thing.

Not to mention, the Edge pro never came with locking studs, so how could they POSSIBLY go 'back' to it?

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
That was all I needed to read before I knew what to think.

I'll say it now, I think theres way too much backlash over things here when they change to the new thing.

Not to mention, the Edge pro never came with locking studs, so how could they POSSIBLY go 'back' to it?
It's not change to something new it's change to something inferior that gets the backlash.

But you're right, the Edge Pro didn't come with the locking studs, but I think the guy who posted that up was saying that that bridge should have them if it makes a return.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It's not change to something new it's change to something inferior that gets the backlash.

But you're right, the Edge Pro didn't come with the locking studs, but I think the guy who posted that up was saying that that bridge should have them if it makes a return.
I'm not saying thats a bad thing, everything should be judged on its own merits, but I see a disproportionate amount of hate for the new bridges tbh, and a majority of it comes from newbie guitar players who have either very limited, or NO experience with the older bridges, and are just parroting the popular opinions.

I've owned original edges, played edge pros heavily while borrowing freinds guitars, and I own a ZR. I can't claim to be completely objective, but in my experience the original Edge isn't reliable compared to the ZR, and the play in the arm holder makes fluttering a pita. My ZR beats the **** out of every other bridge I've ever played, from cheapies to a lot of peoples 'holy grail', the lopro edge/original edge.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts