Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well, it's not bad but the recording is crap. It sounds like they are playing through blown speakers what's up with that?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Well, it's not bad but the recording is crap. It sounds like they are playing through blown speakers what's up with that?
Sounds like it was overcompressed and mastered too hot by some kid preparing the file on a laptop or something. Hopefully it's a problem that's confined to these pre-release mp3s.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah there's been quite a bit written about the 'quality' of the recordings released so far - by fans and recording professionals.

Apparently Metallica management have said that CD will sound better than the released MP3s. I also read that they were going to replace the files sold on iTunes with better quality ones.

What did you think of this song Pete?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yeah there's been quite a bit written about the 'quality' of the recordings released so far - by fans and recording professionals.

Apparently Metallica management have said that CD will sound better than the released MP3s. I also read that they were going to replace the files sold on iTunes with better quality ones.

What did you think of this song Pete?
Didn't like it as much as "The Day That Never Comes." It all sounds a little too random, like they strung together a bunch of riffs and called it a song. It also sounds like none of them can quite agree where the '1' is.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
In all honesty Both those new tracks sound like they haven't been mastered yet. I hope that is the case, because those tracks are not ready for public consumption over the airwaves or on CD....

Again I could be wrong :p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've heard the new song on the radio, and it sounded just as cruddy as the online versions. That production is just horrible, surely they can't be happy with the way it sounds?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Metallica are done. Has been's. Sobriety kills good band's. That and children. Their last decent album was the black album.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hate to be the one to say it, but, we've only heard 2 songs so far, and that ain't enough to judge an album by. Let's wait and see. They might surprise us.
(Even I don't believe myself but that's how i think we should look at it right now.) ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
After buying load, re-load, and the buying St. Anger on the "we promise, we're getting back to our AJFA/black album format" promise there is no way they're getting me again.

That song sounds like it belongs to the St. Anger Metallica.

No Thanks! I'll pass!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Tend to agree with the comments. On the other hand this doesn't sound as bad to me as St Anger did when I first heard it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think the problem with Metallica is that they set their own benchmark too high with albums in the beginning. I think much of the negativity ppl have about these albums wouldn't exist if they didn't hadn't written and released Puppets and Justice etc. So an average album seems **** when really it still may be good or at least average but it's being compared to AJFA and MOP.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
To say not to judge the entire album by these 2 songs makes sense, but really it would be more probable that the band feels these 2 are the big hits of the album, hence the first releases. No band would release 2 of the worst tracks on the album first.

If that is the final production, then their producer must have really wanted them to have a RAW sound in order to get them back to their roots. But that is their mistake, they should have looked at the music, not the tones of their instruments. When you get the music write, the tone comes naturally...

Face it people Metallica died after Black and now they are pulling a rolling stones....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I hate to be the one to say it, but, we've only heard 2 songs so far, and that ain't enough to judge an album by. Let's wait and see. They might surprise us.
(Even I don't believe myself but that's how i think we should look at it right now.) ;)
Actually, 3 songs (Cyanide, The Day That Never Comes, and My Apocalypse). This stuff is definitely a little better than st anger, but that's like saying that having to eat one fistful of crap is better than having to eat two...

And as for the bad quality, they did that on purpose. They said in interviews that they released lower quality stuff to the radio stations to discourage people from posting/downlading it. Same money-grubbing bastards they always were. Bottom line is metallica died as a band around 1989. The Black album showed signs of fading and then it was all downhill from there...

But yeah, as so many others said...Metallica is dead to me. Here's a true story for you: I actually bought St. Anger the day it came out, and a few days later I tried selling it back to a used cd store. They refused to buy it back. I took a buncha cds over that they did take...I won't list the names but suffice to say it was teen pop from when I was like 9 years old. RIP Metallica, IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, I'll never forgive them for what they did with Napster. Basically they set out to prosecute their own fans because they thought they weren't getting paid enough. I know there's a lot more to it, but the level of arrogance displayed at that time will always remind me that in the back of their minds, We're but $$$ to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts