Jem Ibanez Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm from India..Been a fan of Ibanez Xiphos, I finally decided to do a custom guitar based on "XPT 700" to the genre of MeloDeath, inspired by Children Of Bodom...Any advices to my custom guitar from the choice of bolt to wood are strictly accepted..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Probably neckthru to help with sustain on those high bends. Most Melodeath guys like a searing alder guitar but I'm mahogany all the way. OFR or an Edge pro would do well. After that, it's ALL personal preference. I won't talk since I don't even like EMG's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would go with an alder body, neck through construction, a floating trem of your choice, Seymour Duncan Blackouts and a pinstriping (since you mentioned CoB).

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Actually, bolt-ons have greater sustain than setnecks or neckthrus. Can't be ****ed to dig up the info, but yeah its true.
That's not necessarily true. There are a lot more factors that affect sustain that than how the neck is attached to the body.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think some good advice would be to use the same woods as the Xiphos. If you like the playabilty and the tone of the Xiphos, I would use the same neck joint and body woods. Maybe just change the things that you might not like. As far as a guitar specifically for the Melodic Death genre, there is no one type. For example, In flames and Amon Amarth use Gibsons, Arch Enemy uses Caparison and ESP, Soilwork Caparison and ESP, Opeth uses PRS..etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts