Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on evilbay
item# 7391943759

says prototype, hard tail bridge, different colored inlay.

seems fake but never know it may be legit, I emailed him as to how he can prove its authenticity but no response as of yet.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks weird.

The AANJ is off. The lower bolts are much farther apart than they should be. (Is this what they looked like early on?) The monkey grip is off too. The front and back ends should be equidistant from the top edge of the guitar. Also, it's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the routing in the back is sloppy. Where it's squared off, the cuts don't line up with the grip properly.

Also, I think it's worth noting that the neck was converted from a locking neck. You can see the big shelf for the Floyd nut. Though that it in of itself doesn't mean anything.

I'm curious to see if he can authenticate it.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
what "rhythm guitarst" played with vai on the "passion and warfare tour". that is a strange statement... glen

·
Registered
883 Posts
It looks like the neck wasn't even an AANJ neck. See how pale the wood is around the neck joint compared to the rest of the neck- the paleness-seems to be in the "shape" of a standard neck joint. Look how exposed the neck is on the lower horn side (I'm looking at the back shot)- it's practically hanging off that side. And for a guitar that was played, where are the strap buttons?

Not saying it's not legit, but not a "keeper" for Vai, either.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It may be legit, but I agree with the previous comments:

The AANJ is awful as is the monkey grip as is the mating of the neck and the AANJ.

Would Steve even want a JEM without a trem?!?

Yellow vine? Yuck. Looks awful on this guitar. Looks like they took a neck from another trem equipped guitar and just slapped it on a amateur body.

If this is custom shop work, let's hear it for the MIJ models because this is awful.

But you gotta love that the strings haven't been changed since 92 or 93.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Ibanez custom stuff are stamped "LACS....." aint it? or it could have a standard stamped neck, imo, it wouldnt just say "PROTO" on it...

Vine looks weird, maybe its the small pics, it just doesnt seem right, and i dont think there were natural jems before the original horsie prototypes, certainly not hardtails... :/

looks fishy to me...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have to check this one with Steve. There was no Passion and Warfare tour.

But.. if it was made by LACS, the craftsmanship doesn't surprise me. Not that LACS doesn't do great work, but sometimes they'll create a guitar out of stock parts and modify them to meet the demands of the player (in this case Steve).

Steve does have 2 hardtail guitars that I know of - one is an unfinished Jem with a green vine, the other is a hardtail universe.

In any case, if you are thinking of buying one of Steve's guitars, we're putting one on everyone's favorite auction site late this week.

Mikey :)
vai.com

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow that is a real ugly duckling. Does anyone know anything about the Jem Mike Keneally uses (played on G3 Live In Concert) ?? It's a wood grain finish, really lovely guitar imo, just wondered if it had any previous history with Steve or just a custom one off for Mike ..

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Chrome Bad Horsie, It's only got such a huge price tag because of the ghastly chrome finish, the specs if anything are inferior to a 7vwh Jem.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
MM said:
I have to check this one with Steve. There was no Passion and Warfare tour.

But.. if it was made by LACS, the craftsmanship doesn't surprise me. Not that LACS doesn't do great work, but sometimes they'll create a guitar out of stock parts and modify them to meet the demands of the player (in this case Steve).

Steve does have 2 hardtail guitars that I know of - one is an unfinished Jem with a green vine, the other is a hardtail universe.

In any case, if you are thinking of buying one of Steve's guitars, we're putting one on everyone's favorite auction site late this week.

vai.com
Dude, if you guys ever auction that 90th UV of his, I'll sell body parts for it.

Well, not really, but if he's not using it much and you want to "loan" it to a good home for while, I'll be MORE than willing to lend you a hand... :D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I asked Steve about the Jem on ****. He says he thinks he might remember something like it, but doesn't remember giving anything away at the time... so if he did own it, it could be stolen. The only guitar he does have that is similar is an unfinished hardtail Jem with a green vine, so he could be thinking of that one.

I have sent the seller an email asking for more information on where he got it, but they have gone ignored, so I would tread very carefully on this one.

Unfortunately, lets of people try to sell Jems on **** saying they once belonged to Steve. Unless it's a high-profile guitar like Neville, Red Lace, or Pia.. or we are auctioning it, I would be very suspicious.

vai.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts