Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a little recording studio using a laptop but I don't know which interfaces will work. My research led me to believe that some have connectivity, latency, and/or software/driver problems. I don't want to jump into something that I'll regret cause for me, it's a considerable investment. I use XP and may be going for Vista. However, I would also like to use it with my friend's Mac. I don't have much money to spend on this so that's also an issue. Any suggestions for interfaces? Maybe there are others that I haven't heard of yet.

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guitar and vocals hopefully. Maybe around 200-300 dollars american. I'm thinking of buying these:

Echo AudioFire4 FireWire Audio Interface

or

PreSonus FIREBOX 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System

I'm still not sure about them though and what other options i'm leaving out there.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been using an M-Audio firewire solo that's been getting me by pretty well. All the M-Audio interfaces look pretty solid, definitely worth a look.

I've only used it with XP but M-audio are offering vista drivers. As it stands though, I would stick with XP until companies start producing cards that are designed for vista.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Get the Lexicon Omega. Listen to Darin's recordings to get a taste of the kind of sound it can put out.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
926 Posts
For starters use this (M-Audio Fast Track):
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...es/music_creation&nplm=TB084LL/A&mco=6843D59D

It gets the job done and works for XP and Macs. (I use it on a Mac with Logic Express).

If you need more, then upgrade to something better (which will cost you beyond 500 bucks). I have an Emagic Recording Firewire Interface for that, but that is beyond 800 bucks and not easy to drag around...

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've used the M-Audio Delta 66, the Digidesign MBOX and the Presonus FireStudio.

The M-Audio stuff is nice, but for your needs, I'd probably say the MBOX is the best way to go.
If you can afford the Firepod; I'd suggest that though...I love my FireStudio.
My Delta 66 had essentially 4 usable 1/4" inputs at a time, the MBOX does two and the FireStudio does 8.
I have no latency issues with any of them under XP.
I've sold my Delta 66.
Use my MBOX for quick ideas on my main PC in my office and the FireStudio on my recording PC.

For an INCREDIBLE recording application that's free (you can pay to remove an opening nag screen) -- seriously consider checking out Reaper.
www.reaper.fm
I used Cool Edit Pro for many years; then switched to Adobe Audition when they bought out CEP...had tons of problems with my FireStudio and Audition...
Tried out Reaper and there was very little learning curve and it just flat out works awesome - always.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use Alesis I/O 26, great i/o about $350-375. Little above your price range but the possibilities are endless basically. Great product.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I am using a Lexicon, and i am perfectly happy with it. No problems at all, and reasonably price.

My only complaint is that it is a tad bulky

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Get the Lexicon Omega. Listen to Darin's recordings to get a taste of the kind of sound it can put out.

Jimmy:smile:
It's a simple to use desktop 24bit USB unit. They go for under $200. 4 in at a time if you need to. But for guys like us, just having 2 in at a time should about cover it. Comes with Cubase recording software, very easy to use.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Line 6 UX2 in my studio and it works flawlessly as a sound card/interface. It comes with everything you need to do vocals (has mic pres and vocal presets) guitars and bass modeling which Line 6 is known for. Best bang for the buck hands down. Cost around 150 bucks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a Line 6 UX2 in my studio and it works flawlessly as a sound card/interface. It comes with everything you need to do vocals (has mic pres and vocal presets) guitars and bass modeling which Line 6 is known for. Best bang for the buck hands down. Cost around 150 bucks.
I agree, ...no doubt about it. I have two friends who are professional players and studio guys and they swear by the Tone Port and it's modeling. For the price it's just wrong not to pick one up for studio work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts