Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  extremist777 
#1 ·
I bought an Ibanez SA 320X it is a 2004 model i think same as the sa220fm (2 HB configuration) but with piezos in it.

I'm thinking on swapping pickups,both HB, which Dimarzios will sound good, it has a Mahogany Body... any idea or experience ?

#2 ·
How good it will sound is relative. It's all about getting the sound that YOU want. I've yet to try a Dimarzio pickup that didn't have some quality that I liked about it, but some definitely stand above the others. So to guide you on your search, you really need to let us know what kind of tone you're after or at the very least the major styles of music you plan on playing with the guitar.

#3 ·
i have an ibanez rg2550ex basswood body, Dimarzio IBZ on it, and a sustainiac stealth plus system on it, it has that bassy dark sound, i am not trying to get the same tone on the SA, but i found a very thin sound on it, i don't know if its because of the mahagony or the cheap pickups that comes with it, i've been reading about the mo' joe's for bridge or maybe breed's, but i will like to hear from SA players wich HB do you have installed. by the way, whats the difference on sound of alinco vs. ceramic on pickups ?

#7 ·
I have a 2000 model SA 160 that I bought to have a more strat like guitar. I swapped the bridge out for a wilkinson and put Seymour Duncan Pups in it, a JB bridge and two vintage rails for the mid and neck single coil. the JB bridge sounds awesome in it, the mahogany body helps to tame all the highs the pickup has naturally.

#8 ·
A guitar will sound good regardless of the string gauge...that's more about personal preference. I personally prefer 10s and 11s on all of my guitars. As far as pickups go, a Duncan JB for the bridge would be cool but you might also consider the Dimarzio Mo Joe pickup since it's in essence a hotter version of the Fred. As far as the singles go, I would with a Dimarzio Blue or Red Velvet for the middle and a Dimarzio Chopper for the neck.

#11 ·
TMKXL said:
I have a 2005 Prestige SA2020FM. Awesome guitar, looks gorgeous, plays easy, and sounds amazing. Really full warm sound, in your face. Definately check out this one, it's amazing.
good to know another SA2020 owner here :)

btw: did you swap pickups? i kept mine in tact. didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it's still within the SA/ pickup domain, yes?

#12 ·
isida.d said:
Hmm, i dont think so.

I'm pretty sure when i first bought my SZ it was loaded with D'addario XL 10-46's
the SZ might have been equipped with a thicker string gauge to compensate the shorter scale length. when i received my SZ2020, there are definitely not .009s in there. however, the SA models are .009 equipped, unless your dealer re-string the guitar along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.