Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this forum on my search for the model of this bass, I apologize if a post like this is inappropriate.

I purchased an Ibanez bass second hand and cannot determine the model number. The serial number is GS09U086162 and says it is made in china. It is a 4 string bass with 2 humbuckers and 4 knobs. The only branding I see is Gio Soundgear but the pickup configuration does not match any of the models I can find. Is this a real Ibanez or did I get ripped off? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I found this forum on my search for the model of this bass, I apologize if a post like this is inappropriate.

I purchased an Ibanez bass second hand and cannot determine the model number. The serial number is GS09U086162 and says it is made in china. It is a 4 string bass with 2 humbuckers and 4 knobs. The only branding I see is Gio Soundgear but the pickup configuration does not match any of the models I can find. Is this a real Ibanez or did I get ripped off? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
You didn't get ripped off, however it isn't a real Ibanez, it's a Gio. It's basically a Chinese licensed copy of an Ibanez model.

Ibanez makes economical basses called Soundgear, they're a rated as solid student/giggable basses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't get ripped off, however it isn't a real Ibanez, it's a Gio. It's basically a Chinese licensed copy of an Ibanez model.

Ibanez makes economical basses called Soundgear, they're a rated as solid student/giggable basses.
I bought it as a beginner/student bass so the price was right for that. Thanks for the quick response. I got scared when I couldn't find a bass with the HH pickup configuration in Ibanez's catalog.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought it as a beginner/student bass so the price was right for that. Thanks for the quick response. I got scared when I couldn't find a bass with the HH pickup configuration in Ibanez's catalog.
Hey, relax, 90% of tone is in the fingers, if the instrument is set up nicely it will be easy to play and you'll learn faster, take it for a professional setup or learn how to do it yourself.

You want a low action and light strings when you're learning to minimise pain and maximise gain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, relax, 90% of tone is in the fingers, if the instrument is set up nicely it will be easy to play and you'll learn faster, take it for a professional setup or learn how to do it yourself.

You want a low action and light strings when you're learning to minimise pain and maximise gain.
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.