Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting to purchase my first JEM. Was hoping they'd put an original Edge on the Blue Floral Pattern or introduce a new model yesterday but no luck. So have to look now at the SFG model possibly.

Been toying with the idea of buying the seafoam green. Played one at Sam Ash a couple months back and found it enjoyable.

Thoughts from any of you who own one? What do you like and dislike?

Also curious on take of rosewood fretboards versus maple as I still like the last year's BFP save for the bad trem arm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bought mine as a practice guitar and is now my main go to guitar. I have every Jem from a DNA to an LNG and for the money (I paid £500) it is excellent. I feel however I am one of the lucky ones as it's pretty much hit or must with the premiums but if you can try before you buy then you can get a bargain! Sustainer going in soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got the Premium BFP as I was drawn to the maple board and Gravity storm pickups (and looks).

I played a 70V briefly in a store eventually and almost bought a used one once or twice but I ended up getting a used 7DBK instead as I already had a 7VWH with Evos so the Breed pickups and rosewood (my 7VWH has eBony) made more sense for me.

I think if you get lucky you get something close to a Japanese model for a great price, but if unlucky you could be looking at some work to bring it up to best.

For what it is worth I've got models with the original Edge, low Pro Edge and Edge Pro (with stud mod) and the Edge Zero 2 on the Premium isn't that dissimilar in feel under the palm and in general to use. It's certainly reliable and not like some of the low end Trems from the past as I played a while without any tuning stability issues before realising the studs were not even locked!

The negatives are the harder to turn fine tuners (you can't grab them as well) and the arm. The torque adjust on the arm is kind of a plus but there is a little movement in the socket because it only has one bushing at the top (nothing at the bottom). It's most noticeable going from a dive to a pull up in one go (or vice versa).

The best solution I've seen is a modification to use the low pro edge socket but it's not a quick easy fix so haven't decided yet...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like both... and also now the Breeds as well they are all a little different and all great in their own way so it varies from one time to another.

Evos, especially the bridge seem to bring out the highs and harmonics more for leads, the Breeds are more kind of warm in a traditional pickup sense and Gravity storms are perhaps some where between them I'd say the neck for example has a lovely blues type honk to it...

The best link I can suggest for a comparison is this:

http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/10/10/dimarzio-steve-vai-shoot-out-evo-vs-breed-vs-gravity-storm/

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried a JEM SFG and I can confirm it is an excellent guitar. I think they are worth the money. Sometimes they are sold for small money...
If you like the color, then go for it.
Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I recently purchased an 70V SFG. I personally love it, best guitar I've actually ever played.

I have had a couple of issues with the trem - problems with returning to neutral tuning if you have excessively low action. But I've returned it to stock height and it stays in tune no matter how much abuse.... I've kinda got used to the new higher action but in hindsight, with a £900 guitar you should be able to have whatever action you want.

As I was trying to fix the issue I removed the Edge, and I can say, it was an absolute mess of paint inside the body cavity - was like a child had been at it. However, no problems with the outside paintwork, and with the back panel on it looks fine. I usually don't keep my back panels on, but I have had too as it looks so bad without it...

But overall would recommend. But, there are many horror stories. If buying online, make sure you buy from a place with a good returns policy and be prepared to send back if you're not happy...

Enjoy yours :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But overall would recommend. But, there are many horror stories. If buying online, make sure you buy from a place with a good returns policy and be prepared to send back if you're not happy...
Thanks for the feedback. I went over the Rich Harris site and it said he does not have any seafoam green nor will have them for near future. Rich can answer but wondering if he has quality or inventory issues with that particular model.

·
Vendor
26,497 Posts
For 3 years the 7VWH would not intonate. Just as they were getting that bug worked out the SFG went the same way. I have no doubt [maybe] it's been fixed by now but the PBFP's came and that's all anybody has been interested in, so I just haven't ordered any SFG's again. I should at some point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had an original UVMCC and a Jem7VH, and for the money I think the SFG is a steal! I personally love the color, I think you could do a lot worse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I absolutely love my SFG.

I have bought another Ibanez Premium model since then (JS24P) and I cannot fault it either.

My experience so far with the Premium models as been very good. Why not bite the bullet and just buy a SFG. If you don't like it you can always sell it ? I've been doing that with my guitars for the last twenty years 😀

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are several premiums available around where I live but more than I wanted to spend. I may end up just buying and upgrading an older RG but the seafoam color is beautiful in person.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For 3 years the 7VWH would not intonate. Just as they were getting that bug worked out the SFG went the same way. I have no doubt [maybe] it's been fixed by now but the PBFP's came and that's all anybody has been interested in, so I just haven't ordered any SFG's again. I should at some point.
Rich, I may come back to you offline on this one. Interested in the SFG but obviously want a good guitar. thx

·
Registered
147 Posts
Seeing as you mentioned Sam Ash (which I assume puts you in the states), perhaps you should check out Guitar center's used listing. They always have Jems on there the 7vwh even at pretty decent prices. There's mostly 70Vs on there right now. I got my UV777BK from there for about a grand after tax.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts