Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask if anyone here in the forum has found themselves almost completely bored to death of shred guitar? Do you ever find yourself putting on your Vai, Satch, Dream Theater or other artists CD's in your players and after a few minutes just bored? The first time I felt that way was when I saw Rusty Cooley live at a clinic and although I can respect his talent I walked out. I was so bored of his sweep picking and fast runs that it left a sour taste in my mouth. But then there are players like Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa that really make sense to me. Great melodies and tone and they seem to always put me in a great mood and I can relax and enjoy. Lately Vai, Satch, Petrucci and the list goes on and on have burned me out. Anyone out there feel the same?

Armando

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree about cooley and vai (and i dont like satch anyway) but dream theater never gets boring to me. The jazz players like timmons are great to just chill out with, i wish he wasnt so animated live tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you guys too you have to keep a variety and an open mind and ear. Lately I have also been listening to Russ Freeman from the rippingtons he is great! Some older jeff beck has been refreshing to me too. Last night I played the self titled Cd from Michael Lee Firkins and forgot how good this guy was.

Armando

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I still love shred :). People like Gilbert, Malmsteen, Bellas etc... kick ass but my taste has become more broad with players like Holdsworth, Govan, Jordan, Howe, Kotzen etc...

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ive never really got into shred, half a satch album is all I can take at once - or one Vai song (im not a fan of Vai FTLOG was very good tho)

Gilbert and cooley are amazing technical players and malmsteensounds like a scratched record.
cooley is the worst though, all shred and no melody IMO, thats why satch is my fave guitar player, more melody and feeling than the rest.... I can listen and appreciate it, but sometimes my attention is gone before the song is finished.

normally I like to listen to Led Zep, reef, creed, gary moore, thin lizzy, pink floyd and stuff like that....

sweep picking is a great art but is it music ? - certainly not the way some use it... incessant sweeping.....
I know im gonna get grief for this but I like soulful guitar playing, not 1000mph shred.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
It's funny.... because it seems like anytime you mention other players or styles or genre's of music here, the "greeting" is cold at best. I think the only way you can truly improve your playing and musical vocabulary is by listening and learning multiple styles of music. You're right though.... too much of anything gets boring after awhile.
For something a little different try some Sonny Landreth, great slide player! Or if you like Eric Johnson, try some Eric Mantel. Heck it's even fun to go back and listen to old 50's music or even country music.
To really challenge yourself, follow your favorite style back to it's roots starting with electric and tracing those influences back to simple acoustic guitar. Every player you like lists their influences and those "influences" learned from someone else. Trace them back and you might be surprised where you end up. Oh well..... Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Depends what you class as 'shred'. I don't class DT, or most of Gilbert's stuff as 'shred' because there's a vocal melody to hold things together, even though the guitar tends to wander off into mega-fast territory. DT are incredible though, I never get bored of them.

Satriani, on the other hand...I went off his stuff ages ago, seems too samey to listen to for a long time. Malmsteen, I can't stand more than about 30 seconds of. Same for Eric Johnson, but purely because I hate his music rather than for any lack of melody.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Depends what you class as 'shred'. I don't class DT, or most of Gilbert's stuff as 'shred' because there's a vocal melody to hold things together, even though the guitar tends to wander off into mega-fast territory. DT are incredible though, I never get bored of them.

Satriani, on the other hand...I went off his stuff ages ago, seems too samey to listen to for a long time. Malmsteen, I can't stand more than about 30 seconds of. Same for Eric Johnson, but purely because I hate his music rather than for any lack of melody.
"Hate"..... now there's a strong word! Hate usually originates from not understanding.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I kinda go into phases when I get bored of something I goes something like this

metal
alt metal
rock
alt rock
ska Reggae
Jazz
rocka billie

then it goes back up
weird huh? Idk every one gets bored, so I try everthing, but now its like I listen to everything because I found loves of all genres. It also depends on what mood youe in.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The only "shredder" music I can stand is Vai, Satch, Gilbert, and Mattias Eklundh.

I find them to be more musical than the rest. Very interesting ideas. Vai brings on the strange wierdness, Satch does the bluesy out-worldly anthems and crazy sounds, Gilbert just burns your face with terror death licks, and Mattias makes his guitar do crazy stuff. He has an extreme control over the notes, but he doesn't just shred up and down (I cant stand that)

I used to listen to alot of classic rock, which I like, but I've gotten really tired of it.

I want some fresh music thats GOOD.

Lately, ive been on a heavy Red Hot Chili Peppers binge. . .Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication have been playing nonstop in my car for like 2 weeks.

I even got inspired to play bass! I got an OLP MM2 bass, and I'm having SOOOO much fun laying down the funk.

Lately, Ive considered joining a punk band just for the hell of it, for a fresh breath of air.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Every player you like lists their influences and those "influences" learned from someone else. Trace them back and you might be surprised where you end up. Oh well..... Just a thought. :)
Very good point IMO...Steve Vai loves to listen to Tom Waitts! So I checked Tom out but couldn't really get into it, but I guess Vai thinks it's good for a reason. He also recommended Eric Sardinhas which I think is amazing....if you thought SRV had tone and attitude listen to Eric.

Shredding? I do a bit of shredding and am in awe of people who do it well.... very few can do it "musically" though (I sure can't)...it can be used brilliantly or it can totally kill a song IMO, my 2 cents as usual....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.