Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they are in Japan and I know on Ebay there are a lot of these 'shops" that are dealers for other sellers (I see the same guitars listed with numerous "shops")
They have something I'm interested in and it's listed on Reverb.
They seem to have decent feedback scores on Reverb but the way things are now a days is that
suffucient?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been buying from them since 2001, no issues. All the nicer JDM Ibanez models have been bought from them or Kurosawa. I don't buy domestically any more, Japanese sellers are just better at everything. Import duties are 5 or 10% I think, shipping has gone up since they switched to DHL (due to USPS delays) but that's no big deal, another $100 or so, so ~$220-250, no big deal when it's a rare or impossible to get model that was/is only available in Japan.

·
Registered
'86 RS525, 2021 Genesis RG565, two Custom Suhr Moderns
8 Posts
I haven't ordered from them, but order a Vampire Kiss RG565 from Ikebe and dealt with them through email. Even factoring shipping, the guitar came out considerably cheaper than the cost of a new 565 in the US. Arrived in basically a week, too!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well, if you're ordering a brand new high end something, a bit more on shipping/customs may be less of a big deal.

If I want to buy some kind of regular old model like an R, RG, S or whatever, which is pretty much always lower priced in Japan, I'd have to think about it more since shipping/customs can bump up the price quite a bit relative to what the guitar itself costs.

Still, it might still be worth it in some instances; I mean, you can find older J. Customs for under 1k sometimes.

Anyway, Japan is a great place to buy a guitar, if you can. So much choice!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very true, I scored an RG2027X, absolute mint shape for $800, my RG2420TB was $900, lots of cool, old, stuff, but it's not always a great deal. I've definitely been surprised, in a not-so-good way, a few times, I've had some regrets for sure...but, on average, it's been far more wins than losses :)

I mean, hell, I bought that MRG17 from Kurosawa and ended up with a 2 for 1 deal because of a shipping mishap...ok, that was lucky AF. But still, in general, I just haven't been excited about any U.S domestic market Ibanez since the RG3120, I mean the MSM100 was/is very cool, but that's really been about it for me as far as anything new that was a regular catalog model.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah, some of those older Prestige models might also worth pursuing. I notice they have a 2020X for $781 at Ishibashi. This one has an Ultra neck, right? Even if you end up paying about 1k after shipping and taxes, it would probably still be less than finding an equivalent one on Reverb or whatever.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, some of those older Prestige models might also worth pursuing. I notice they have a 2020X for $781 at Ishibashi. This one has an Ultra neck, right? Even if you end up paying about 1k after shipping and taxes, it would probably still be less than finding an equivalent one on Reverb or whatever.
Exactly, and yes, definitely an Ultra on that one. If it was in VV I would have already bought it, lol. But aside from that there is an RGR620TPS on there for $327, that is one HELL of a deal right there. JPM100 switch layout, H-H direct mount, lo-pro, wizard neck, ash body, nice finish. I mean, sharktooth inlays and reverse headstock aren't my thing, but it's still a hell of a guitar for about as much as you could buy a Lo-pro bridge for, alone. Every once in awhile there are killer deals that are incomparable to anything here in the states or really anywhere else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been buying from them since 2001, no issues. All the nicer JDM Ibanez models have been bought from them or Kurosawa. I don't buy domestically any more, Japanese sellers are just better at everything. Import duties are 5 or 10% I think, shipping has gone up since they switched to DHL (due to USPS delays) but that's no big deal, another $100 or so, so ~$220-250, no big deal when it's a rare or impossible to get model that was/is only available in Japan.
Have you ever had a bad experience with DHL? I have nothing but good things to say. I would happily pay the extra money for DHL because my goods ALWAYS have showed up early and in good shape....

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was going to buy a J Custom recently from Ishibashi but after calculating everything including shipping, brokerage and duties to my area, I found the same model in another province with a nicer top and it ended up being $200 cheaper.

Also, DHL in Canada is awful. They have lost 2 packages on me over the past 3 years and I’m not at all interested in having anything shipped to me from them. I know that DHL in the US is a lot better apparently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was going to buy a J Custom recently from Ishibashi but after calculating everything including shipping, brokerage and duties to my area, I found the same model in another province with a nicer top and it ended up being $200 cheaper.

Also, DHL in Canada is awful. They have lost 2 packages on me over the past 3 years and I’m not at all interested in having anything shipped to me from them. I know that DHL in the US is a lot better apparently.
DHL to Canada, hell anything to Canada is a nightmare. The AZ2402FF I just sent there has been in transit since the 8th, mind you it's a 6-11 day service to Canada. DHL to and from Japan has been ok, they did damage my MRG17 though, 1 of 6 made in the world, that pissed me off royally.

Honestly, I find EMS (USPS/postal) the best, it's like 2-4 days maximum, and costs half of what DHL/UPS/FedEx cost. The only issues have been the delays lately, which have caused Japanese dealers to pivot to DHL

·
Registered
827 Posts
DHL to Canada, hell anything to Canada is a nightmare. The AZ2402FF I just sent there has been in transit since the 8th, mind you it's a 6-11 day service to Canada. DHL to and from Japan has been ok, they did damage my MRG17 though, 1 of 6 made in the world, that pissed me off royally.

Honestly, I find EMS (USPS/postal) the best, it's like 2-4 days maximum, and costs half of what DHL/UPS/FedEx cost. The only issues have been the delays lately, which have caused Japanese dealers to pivot to DHL
LOL. It's not all that bad! No issues with UPS or Fed Ex with receiving stuff from other places. I agree though, EMS is great but they aren't shipping to us at this point, unfortunately.

YIKES! Damage to anything MRG is not what I would want to hear!

I got lucky finding a really rare looking (quilt top!) RG8570CST-NT up here. You don't see a lot of quilt top J-Customs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts