Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah kind of a weird question, and I wasn't even really sure where to post this.

I discovered that running my late 80's MIJ strat with upgraded fender noiseless single coils into my modded DS1, INTO my Marshall Guv'nor pedal, into my VOX Valvetronix on a *slightly* distorted amp preset....gives me the ultimate metal tone! VERY clear but not too bright, AMAZING harmonics and sqeals. The tone is just unbelievable, and better than any of my humbucker-equipped Ibanez's or PRS.

My question is, do any of you guys out there use single coil pickups for a metal tone?

·
Registered
170 Posts
oh yes, my first guitar, a black w/maple neck (scolloped between 15-19 ;) is great
you'l def hear the single-coils weakness compared to humbuckers but there actually almost there, my strat handles harmonics alot better than my ibanzes which is weird but yea

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd have to say that about 99.9% of metal players I have heard of use humbuckers for rhythm.

I can't think of any players with a Killswitch Engage type sound who use single coils.

The few metal players who use single coils (that I know about) tend to be in the vein of Malmsteen, as others have already mentioned.

Rock on!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I can't think of any players with a Killswitch Engage type sound who use single coils.
Me neither. Just because they're just not very suitable for it. You just can't get that thick, chunky tone from a single coil, not easily anyway. Especially in drop-tunings as well.

Iron Maiden have been using single coils for a while too don't forget. Although technically they use single coil sized humbuckers.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ive got to a agree though, everyone in metal uses humbuckers, its more the malmsteen esq players that are instrumental metal
it just doesnt really happen :(

·
Registered
696 Posts
There's no rule to say you can't, and if you think it sounds good then go with it.

Although, I would have thought it would be impossble to control unwanted noise coming from a single coil with a metalcore level of distortion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's no rule to say you can't, and if you think it sounds good then go with it.

Although, I would have thought it would be impossble to control unwanted noise coming from a single coil with a metalcore level of distortion.
You would think so, but with my noisless pickups, the DS1 running in the loop of my NS2, and the output of the NS2 going through the Guv'nor to my amp, there's hardly any noise at all. Weird. I wish I had a way to get a get a decent sound clip for you guys, but I don't.

Doing something different FTW!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Malmsteen's pickups are based around the DiMarzio HS line. Fender Noiseless pickups are similar to those as well. They are technically humbuckers.

I'm not familiar with Blackmore's current setup, but Deep Purple was all Strat with single coils.

·
Registered
458 Posts
my brother just bought a fender deluxe players with noiseless pups and they sound kind of weak compared to humbuckers but still great tones, to get a heavy distortion he has to set his pedals at maximum gain lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
am I wrong or Kirk Hamet used to play black strat type guitar ( fernandes?) with single colis? ( e.g. ''ONE'' video)
That was an ESP, and it was mostly strat cleans thruout the song and the solos... The heavyness came from James' EMGs in the explorer :)

btw, there was this skinny young guy whose name i never remember that played for Ozzy after Zakk left, in the ozzmosis tour or something, i know i saw a video for live Perry Mason and the guy had a sunburst strat... Sounded pretty great if you ask me...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
btw, there was this skinny young guy whose name i never remember that played for Ozzy after Zakk left, in the ozzmosis tour or something, i know i saw a video for live Perry Mason and the guy had a sunburst strat... Sounded pretty great if you ask me...
Joe Holmes? Strat user, skinny, not so young!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Joe Holmes? Strat user, skinny, not so young!
Yeah, it was Joe Holmes. Forgot all about him. Although I know he used a humbucker in the bridge of some of the Strats he used.

And then there was Bernie Tormé, who joined after Randy of course in 1982. He used single coils in a Strat as well.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying you can't use single coils for metal, but if you want a Killswitch Engage type tone (which is what the original poster asked), you are gonna need humbuckers, and hot ones at that.

Personally, I have never heard a true single coil pickup that I like the sound of when heavily distorted. They just sound like they have had their balls cut off to me.

Rock on!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts