Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've stripped my guitar down to the wood but there's a few bits I can't reach without removing the neck of the guitar. Are there any precautions I should take before/while/after removing the neck?

Is it as easy as screw off - screw back on?

I've read a few things on other forums but a lot seem to contradict eachother. please explain!?

J

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've stripped my guitar down to the wood but there's a few bits I can't reach without removing the neck of the guitar. Are there any precautions I should take before/while/after removing the neck?

Is it as easy as screw off - screw back on?

I've read a few things on other forums but a lot seem to contradict eachother. please explain!?

J
It should be fine, just don't be forceful, and some neck are shimmed at the joint so make sure if anything falls out of the neck pocket, you put it back, best to make sure nothing falls out though...

I've done it countless times without bother. If it's quite old, i'd probably consider gluing a bit of wood (tooth pick or something, i use bits of starbucks stirrers) into the holes on the neck to make sure you don't rip it all out.

Some people think if you leave it all off, the tension on the truss rod will damage the neck, particularly the fingerboard. If you want to be extra safe, you could take the tension off the truss rod, but I don't see that it's 100% necessary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.