Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm after a JS1200 CA, but since my budget is limited, I'm thinking in buying the guitar from Musicians Friend, for $1370, and comes with case. Besides comes with a signed back plate.

I've read the Ibanez Rules comments from Rich, and really would like to buy from him, but it's more expensive.

The question here is: Have you guys experienced any problems, like tuning problems, buzzing frets, general seting or action, or any other problem with the guitar, when you receive it from any other dealer other than Rich??

:cool:

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
greggmetal said:
I'm after a JS1200 CA, but since my budget is limited, I'm thinking in buying the guitar from Musicians Friend, for $1370, and comes with case. Besides comes with a signed back plate.

I've read the Ibanez Rules comments from Rich, and really would like to buy from him, but it's more expensive.

The question here is: Have you guys experienced any problems, like tuning problems, buzzing frets, general seting or action, or any other problem with the guitar, when you receive it from any other dealer other than Rich??

:cool:
The factory setup is generally not very good, buying from Rich will mean that you will get a guitar that you can play right out of the box.

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I thought Rich's prices were about the same. But I think that the extra money is worth it. I don't think Musicians Friend setup their guitars.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Dont forget to tack on shipping from Rich ;)

Side note: How many people here dont know how to setup their guitar??
From the way you guys post the number is staggering, I think all players should learn how to do setups.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
HDS said:

From the way you guys post the number is staggering, I think all players should learn how to do setups.
You learn to do it, by reading and learning which alot of us do, trial and error method is bad on a 2000 dollar instrument. just my 2 cents

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
HDS said:

First, shipping is included in every new guitar price quote.

Second, how does this resemble any "setup" that even the most savy would know how to do?!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/setup_trem.htm

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
You learn to do it, by reading and learning which alot of us do, trial and error method is bad on a 2000 dollar instrument. just my 2 cents
Well dont let price scare you, after all its just a guitar.

There are people modding their new Toyota hybrids in their garages. Toyota wasn't very happy about this but being that the customers were getting 250 mpg over the 80 that Toyota was getting kinda shut them up.

To think, modding a car ($30K)!! To them.. it's just a car

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
IF you get your 1200 from MF, you will definitely need to do some setup work to make it playable. I think Rich's prices are the best deal out there ... you won't find that setup for the price. I wish I had known about Rich when I got my 1200 ... I wouldn't have considered going anywhere else.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
HDS said:
I could type out how to change your car tier and it would seem overly technical too =)

I guess Im from the lost school of "learn to do it yourself."
Really, you consider doing a fret level, fret end radiusing, grinding nuts [when needed], relieving neck pockets, something commonly done by just anybody? And you're going to equate that to changing a tire which any monkey can do?! Don't even think of belittling what I do.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rich said:
Really, you consider doing a fret level, fret end radiusing, grinding nuts [when needed], relieving neck pockets, something commonly done by just anybody? And you're going to equate that to changing a tire which any monkey can do?! Don't even think of belittling what I do.
Not trying to belittle you at all, feeding you taking it personally, yes. ;)

"Really, you consider doing a fret level, fret end radiusing, grinding nuts…etc "

Man if I get a guitar that has all that needed on a brand new guitar then back to the sales floor it goes!

Maybe I have had a guitar that needs things done but I guess I didn't notice it needed it and didn't get in the way of my playing.

For the sake of killing this rant, You people dont do anything yourselfs and just let others do it for you. Dont learn anything.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've bought from online stores and from Rich. I can setup my own guitars, do whatever is necessary, but I simply don't have the time to focus much on my own guitars. So, for me, it is very much worth getting from Rich. A few of my guitars still have his setup on them, and when I take them out to play (when I get the chance), it's usually a quick tuning and I'm noodling away. I have yet to get or see a guitar from a music store that has the perfect setup that Rich offers.......bang for your buck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THANKS GUYS!

In general I do my setups, on my guitars, I do it for my JS1000, no problem. I was concerned to probably save some dollars, and then afterwards realize that I should have bought the setup from Rich, because the Ibanez factory is really bad, and because the new studs. I mean, I do the tuning, intonation, action, change of strings and gauge if needed, etc., the generic stuff that everyguy around here do, but for sure I'm not a Luthier like Rich, and I respect his job.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
Thanks Greg.

EVERYBODY should know how to do all the simple adjustments your instrument needs, and if you don't know then your first order of business should be to learn [Flobanez, don't make me point my finger!!]. What I do has little to do with the simple adjustments and everything to do with making sure the base is enhanced and modified, and fully sorted so that any simple adjustment is possible. And then do all the simple stuff also ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been doing it myself for 15 years. Now its time for a real pro like RICH to do it for me.(looking at the RGT220HSOL). One of the best things I have learned in my 35 year life is - Now matter how good you are or think you are- someone can do it better!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts