Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing a few PRS's at GC over the weekend. I tried custom 22 and 24, 20th anniversary, mahogany neck 10 top 22, and a McCarty. They all had characteristics that I really liked i.e. neck pickup on the McCarty, bridge pickup on the custom 24. Overall I liked the 20th anniversary, but $3000? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
There are more PRS haters than players POSTING here that is for sure. Grab any PRS that you think plays and sounds good. Its likely that the 20th will hold it's value long term as do all PRS axes. I don't see much special about the 20th personally, but I were considerinig a new 2005 prs i'd certainly consider paying a few $$$ extra to get one anyways... glen

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I dislike them less and less to be honest Glen, but I must say I still think they are hideously overpriced! I played a custom 22 the other day that just blew me away, and Ive been in love ever since. I would still kill for a production model with a floyd rose, but thats not likely to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
jemsite said:
There are more PRS haters than players POSTING here that is for sure. Grab any PRS that you think plays and sounds good. Its likely that the 20th will hold it's value long term as do all PRS axes. I don't see much special about the 20th personally, but I were considerinig a new 2005 prs i'd certainly consider paying a few $$$ extra to get one anyways... glen
We are not PRS haters ;), we just don't like them :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I love them.
I have played various models at different times.

The one thing I am not a huge fan of however, are the necks. They are a bit too much of a "baseball bat" size for me. I am a huge lover of the standard fender strat shaped necks, but the PRS necks are always a bit much for me.

I think the quality of them are amazing, they look gorgeous, and they sound pretty amazing too. Plus their customer service is great. But again, the price is a bit much. If I was rich, I wouldnt be fussed. But I am not rich, and something like £2000+ for a PRS is too much for me.

For that price I would rather have a quality guitar through and through like a Tom Anderson or James Tyler. A Tom Anderson would wipe the floor with a PRS! With change left over too!

P.S. I think the PRS SE range are great for the $$$. Especially the Soapbar and the Tremonti models.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I would argue that keeping the guitars high priced has created a sort of mysticism about them. Everyone who owns them are high end players or signed bands, who have lots of dough to spend on instruments. I think they have become victims of their own hype at the same time.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
If this was a PRS forum, no doubt we would be saying the same about Ibanez. At the end of the day its all personal taste I suppose, its all about what you like personally. Some people love them, some people dont. But its the same with everything. Some of us on here dont like PRS, and I am sure plenty of PRS users dislike the odd Ibanez too, lol.

I think the main problem with them is the cost though.
Because as I said, for the cash, I wouldnt buy a PRS. I would buy a Tom Anderson and be much happier. But then again, thats all down to personal taste too, lol!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Flobanez said:
Too pricey for me plus Im strictly a 7-string player. I have played my friend's and I've played a few in music stores and I do like them. They are sweet guitars none the less.;)
Incidently PRS now makes a private stock 7 string model, although god only knows how much it coust id estimate at least 10,000 pounds!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey Bill, just get a used one. They are readily available. You can get a 10 top CU24 with birds for like $1,800 as opposed to $2,600 any day of the week. I have a 1990 Special. It's pretty rare. Think of it as a no frills custom. Swing by sometime, you're welcome to try it. Also, early '90's CE24's are great too and are in the $1,200 or so range in near mint condition.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I will have to try a Tom Anderson as well - excellent suggestion, thanks! I've never tried a Vigier and do not know of a dealer in the area. Any Baker players out there? Other high end dual humbucker 22 fret guitars?

Regarding the neck - there are models with a thinner neck - but not as thin/wide as my JEM.

The 20th anniversary models were heavier than the customs, I think the wood was of a higher caliber, more resonant.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts