Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for any pics of RG550 relic jobs. Something like the so popular treatment on the Fenders these days. My RG550 is looking pretty worn for its 20+ years of playing, and I'm curious about what it would look like relic'ed. I don't know that I could ever do that to my baby, but I'm definitely curious. Plus its black, and I don't know how well that would look distressed.

any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has intentionally relic'd an RG - there are enough out there already that are beaten nearly to death, and they are usually the cheapest to buy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like I've kept mine in pretty good shape over the years, but in the last few years, it seems I'm discovering more wear and tear than ever, and the aging has definately picked up the pace. It's not "beaten to hell" but I can see it heading that direction. I'd sure like to see an RG with a heavy relic treatment, though.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
My 550 is a chip and ding collection, but I've done some stupid stuff to it as well, like putting in a Les Paul 3 way and covering the pickguard with tacky contact paper :lol:

Once they start to get beat a bit, you can really just do whatever the heck you want to them and not really affect the value too much.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Now there's an idea!

Wouldn't it be funny if Ibanez reissued the RG550 for a second time, this time relic'ed? I wonder if we'll ever see Ibanez guitars reissued by their custom shop NOS/VOS, period correct. No prestige necks, no titanium reinforcement, "vintage" V7 and V8 pickups. :lol: You never know, today's bargain bin is tomorrow's vintage holy grail.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if Ibanez reissued the RG550 for a second time, this time relic'ed? I wonder if we'll ever see Ibanez guitars reissued by their custom shop NOS/VOS, period correct. No prestige necks, no titanium reinforcement, "vintage" V7 and V8 pickups.
just take a look at the bay: you'll find tons of those for less than a tenth the price of anything reissued. also, i think we're getting a tad beyond. Ibanez can't make whatever humans can think of.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
my rg550 is pretty beat in the body and the maple fretboard is showing signs of wear, but the vibe of this guitar is immense. i put a white pickguard and white duncans so it looks like a cross between a strat and rg. even moreso due to the matching blue headstock.

rich

·
Registered
315 Posts
my rg550 is pretty beat in the body and the maple fretboard is showing signs of wear, but the vibe of this guitar is immense. i put a white pickguard and white duncans so it looks like a cross between a strat and rg. even moreso due to the matching blue headstock.

rich
Post a picture of her!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts