Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I recently got hold of a RG655 (in FSO), new, 2015 production.
I also have a RG950 (indo made premium).

As i have read on different places the frets get a "prestige treatment", so i understand rounded (as on my premium).
However the fret finishing is at best smoothed edges, no "roundiness" detected.
I am trying to understand if this is something normal on prestige guitars because i seen some pictures that look like the
frets should be round(er).

The guitar came with little to no setup in the case (loosen bolts on the locking nut) and i had to do a basic setup myself.
I read the book and i got it in somehow working condition (adjusted the action).
I measured the neck bow using the method described in the book.
However, when i look at the neck i can see there is slightly more curvature on the bass side than on the treble,
not much, just enough to make me wonder. My premium seems to have a constant curvature on both sides.

Overall, I am asking if these are normal things that i would expect from these kind of guitars.

Will post pics when i get home.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is all normal. The fret ends vary.

In terms of setup, think about it logistically... the axes are made in Japan and months later arrive at the distributor then dealer in your case Romania. The distributor and dealer might not even unbox the guitar if they do perhaps just retune it. That next level of local setup is up to your distributor/dealer.

It's a common idea to unlock the nut and possibly detune to avoid possible string tension changes with severe temperature changes (i.e. airplane). But these are not fine violins so they just unlocked the nut... glen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, the nut was loose and the guitar was detuned (forgot to mention).
The distributor didn't open the package (bought from them before, they are serious business).

(images in next post)

And as i said, it seems to be a bit of a neck curvature on the neck (more curvature on the bass side). I don't think it's a problem because as i understood it's not actually a bad thing this way (the reverse is).
The guitar is great, the pickups are great, the bridge is GREAT.

The only thing is that this is my first prestige Ibanez and i was expecting a lot more attention to details. IMHO the premium has some little things (as laquered headstock, binding on the fretboard). Don't get me wrong, the prestige is a better player than the premium (mainly because of the bridge and the pickups).

Overall i am happy with the guitar, but i was wondering if any other owner share the experience or i'm just picky :).

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
a little rough should not come out of Fuji like that imho but things fall thru the cracks.

You're saying the neck is warped or just that the low-E has a bit more relief (fretboard concavity)? More tension on the low-E would naturally cause slightly more relief but since the dealer didn't check anything now you have to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't think it's warped. I think that is just a visual effect that makes it look worse than it is (more bow on the low E though, but i think it's just the string tension).

I don't know anyone in my area that can make a good setup so i had to do it myself. I used the "Standard Low" settings on
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm.

Plays quite nice now. I'm happy enough :)

Though I can't really intonate it properly (close enough).

Overall i'm happy with it. Though more QC could be accomplished on their side for these instruments, i think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Prestige Treatment is just smoke and mirrors. Ideally, a guitar that is properly built should have the fret polished and smoothed out like the so-called Prestige Treatment.

I have an RG655 with frets exactly like yours. My RG3XXV has frets that are rounded just like your Premium.

Prestige Treatment is just a marketing ploy commonly employed by companies in order to justify strangling your neck with exorbitant prices.

·
Registered
101 Posts
a little rough should not come out of Fuji like that imho but things fall thru the cracks.

You're saying the neck is warped or just that the low-E has a bit more relief (fretboard concavity)? More tension on the low-E would naturally cause slightly more relief but since the dealer didn't check anything now you have to.
How can you be so sure? Do you work at the factory/ company? It seems to me that you are sticking up for Ibanez. Do you get paid by Fujigen/ Ibanez to defend them?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you believe that the lacquer used on an Indonesian RG is more durable than that on a Prestige? I have a 3-yeard old RG3XXV whose lacquer shows no signs of fine hairline swirl marks. Yet my 2-year old RG550 Genesis looks like it's been out there a lot longer.

Time will tell if my RG655 will live up to Prestige reputation.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The Prestige Treatment is just smoke and mirrors.

Prestige Treatment is just a marketing ploy commonly employed by companies in order to justify strangling your neck with exorbitant prices.
The RG655 has exorbitant pricing? IMHO the use of prestige is actually a good product differentiator.

Ideally, a guitar that is properly built should have the fret polished and smoothed out like the so-called Prestige Treatment.
True to an extent, but poor QC has nothing to do with what you posted above.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The RG655 has exorbitant pricing? IMHO the use of prestige is actually a good product differentiator.

True to an extent, but poor QC has nothing to do with what you posted above.
I am talking about Prestige in general not merely RG655. The Prestige line is the high end Ibanez line and it's the most expensive compared to the Indonesian made line.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Prestige is high priced? Yes compared to sweatshop axes.

Compared to like-quality guitars? Nope, not at all. The value of the 655 is proof enough.

I'll be posting a long-form AR2619 review soon but compare that to a Gibson LesPaul Standard which is hundreds $ more and has less features. It's more comparable to the Custom $1000-1500 more actually (Richlite fretboard not ebony)

Now, i'll agree the SIGNATURE Prestige axes are often far too costly but these buyers serve a certain market where $ is not a limitation, the cost conscious buyer is offered the faux from Indo.... glen

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
When the RG3550's started getting into the $1,700 range then I thought they were a bit overpriced. I think the RG655 is right where it should be at $1,200. It's right about where an American made Fender HSS Strat is at now I think. I might seem like a homer but the RG655 with Dimarzios, Original Edge, MIJ, HSH configuration - I don't think you're buying a better guitar for that money.
Les Pauls IMO are way out there but some people see them as worth every penny.
Man, I wish Ibanez would dip a toe in and try a Richlite board on an RG. I'd just like to try one at least. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can't deny the fact that the 3xxx RGs are ridiculously priced compared to the 1xxx series. Same pickups, same wood, same wizard neck, same hardware, same hard case, everything else except the fancy inlays and sometimes pointless flame tops.

Compared to Fenders and Gibsons of course, Prestige is a good deal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Prestige is high priced? Yes compared to sweatshop axes.

Compared to like-quality guitars? Nope, not at all. The value of the 655 is proof enough.

I'll be posting a long-form AR2619 review soon but compare that to a Gibson LesPaul Standard which is hundreds $ more and has less features. It's more comparable to the Custom $1000-1500 more actually (Richlite fretboard not ebony)

Now, i'll agree the SIGNATURE Prestige axes are often far too costly but these buyers serve a certain market where $ is not a limitation, the cost conscious buyer is offered the faux from Indo.... glen
Just so you know, Indonesian Ibbys aren't made at sweatshops. They are made at Cort factory in East Java. Don't compare them to those illegal immigrants working for pennies in New York sewer.

You should get out of Uncle Sam's warm lap and travel the world and come back a new man with an open mind and in-depth knowledge.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Cort had to close the Korean factory and move to Indo because of the strikes over the horrible working conditions and the wages. Sounds like a sweatshop to me 8O

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cort had to close the Korean factory and move to Indo because of the strikes over the horrible working conditions and the wages. Sounds like a sweatshop to me 8O
Your logic is faulty. I was referring to the Cort factory in Indonesia that is not a sweatshop.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Sweatshop doesn't have to be 12 year olds in China sewing Trumps ties. There are plenty of "high tech" sweatshops, just like Cort Korea.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweatshop doesn't have to be 12 year olds in China sewing Trumps ties. There are plenty of "high tech" sweatshops, just like Cort Korea.
Who cares? I wasn't talking about Cort Korea. I was talking about Indonesian-made Ibbys, which are not made at sweatshops but at Cort factory in Indonesia.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have no idea why you brought up Cort Korea. Isn't the term 'Indonesian Ibby's blatantly obvious? You would call them 'Korean Ibby's if they were made in Korea. Pfft....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts