Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Anything that helps you learn to play better is good. I haven't visited there lately but a while back they used to have free samples on there and I downloaded a few of them. Most of the ones I saw are very advanced; a lot of those guys have amazing chops that most players will never approach. If you want/need picking practice, they are good as is anything that gets you to practice.

I think learning the scales/modes and practicing them with rhythm tracks will do more to make you a better player/jammer than just practicing sequences that don't really take you anywhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are some really good tutorials on chops from hell and there are some really bad ones also. My advise to you would be to practice your chord sets and scales bla bla bla and then go to sites like that and see how other players are coming up with riffs and and techniques they are using. A good starting point would be to understand your modes and pentatonic scales because most of what you'll see on there is based on that.....and arpeggios of coarse but that would go hand in hand with chord theory

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
razorsuppository said:
It's good for developing technique. It does nothing that learning a scale and practicing it all over the neck won't do, unless you're too lazy to come up with your own exercises and patterns.
At this point I play from scales (and sometimes a mixture of them) rather than learning stuff. Gives me my own sound a little more, and I can understand the theory well enough I can do that. I'd say learn all the modes and figure out other scales (or cheat and find them online or in a book).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.