·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First there were boutique guitars
Then there were boutique pedals
Then there were boutique amps
now there are boutique picks

.....yes. I almost bought a pick for $30 (a regular piece of plastic) just to see what was so "boutique" and I cancelled the order right away because I said to myself, this is just as much BS as the boutique guitars, pedals, amps and whatever else "boutique" - like who created this term? its so foolishly pretentious that I almost want to disregard anything that starts with boutique

You want to see boutique: you look at an Ibanez J Custom (showpiece from NamM) or look at an ESP custom shop - now THAT is boutique, and they were never called that before.....

FWIW ive seen "boutique" guitars at "boutique NAMM" booths and they are cool - boutique isn't quite the word I would use, its more avant-garde and unaffordable, but I think thats what boutique actually means....like its ridiculous the things I see on certain sites and YouTube and the biggest "7" string forum - as Formerly Given to Fly said, with so much gear and NGD talk, where's the music man?

its like no one actually plays their guitars anymore, they just buy them and/or sell them - like does anyone actually record these days on Jemsite? man I miss Ken Birch and Ron Thal man.....and I don't miss my old band lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's just marketing isn't it.
So i ignore it to be honest.

MIJ Ibanez guitars (currently all mine except my bass) plus a setup is enough quality wise. So I'd only go above that if it was for features I can't get. But to be honest I've already got my ideal custom by modding an old PGM100 I rescued and fixed up. (That's mine now! Not Steve's or Paul's guitar)

Boutique pedals are the silliest. They're electronics. Magic diodes aren't a thing. I've got Boss, Chinese, homemade kits and a few niche builders (boutique?) on my board. But I've never paid over the odds for some mythical $500 distortion. I'd rather spend less, work less and play more.

I did enjoy soldering my own pedals during covid though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude you Get it
Cool that you can make your own pedals btw

[email protected] a PGM does make it your custom , I always found that logic to be sound but others arent always convinced

good post

·
Registered
543 Posts
The only cool thing about boutique amps or pedals... Is that they may offer a sound that isn't technically manufacturered anymore. Like for example. I have a Boss PH-1 phase shifter (apparently it's analog 🤷) from the early 80's. Which... The 80's to me isn't boutique... But '81 was 40 years ago! 😵. It sounds wayyyy better than any phaser boss sells now. Wayyyy better than an MXR phase 90. And boutique amps?... Ehhh I mean, there are some that are unique but not many... And they are not worth the ridiculous cost. Plus most have to be cranked to high hell to get great tone. So yeah... I'd say maybe a handfull of "boutique" items may offer something better. But very very very! Few and far between.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude, when I found this "boutique pick"site I saw it as 003 Gravity picks, thinking it was 3 picks...no its the model number
so I look at the order after placing it and it says 003 pick x 1 = 28.99 so I was like, wait a second, wait a second hold the phone please sir

after talking to them and saying, im sorry if this sounds crazy but did I just pay $30 for one pick? because I thought I was crazy when I thought I spent $10 each x 3 but it looks like I bought one pick, if thats the case, please cancel my order and call my psychiatrist" lol

the dude cancelled it like within a minute of getting my email, but I found it beyond hilarious, like if I didnt check, I would've kicked myself in the ass for about two-3 months maybe

·
Registered
543 Posts
Red bear trading company makes $30 guitar picks... They are made of a classified resin that is supposed to perfectly replicate turtle shell... They are some interesting looking variety of picks that they make. They range from I think... $8-36??? But Guthrie Govan has a "signature" pick. I have to be honest, I am curious. But idk if I am $36 = 1 pick curious 🤨.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well, when people stop buying, they'll stop making/charging those prices, which is built on a feedback loop of desire being constantly manufactured. If people will buy boutique guitars, then they'll go for amps, pedals, straps, whatever. Part of this is couched in concepts of uniqueness and limitation, and people like having something no one else has or few have, which they often use to derive status and self-esteem from in the social groups they inhabit end David Attenborough voiceover. When I think about it this way, stuff like a Klon, Adam Jones LP or Trainwreck make more sense, and it goes back to what was discussed earlier about a glut of gear, but playing is 🤷‍♀️.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think there's a difference between smaller local builders and 'boutique pricing'

E.g. my friend has a great amp from Vyse.
Hand made by a local guy who makes them that way because he's a real tube amp enthusiast. I'd rather support that kind of company. But crucially he's not charging $20k per amp...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally with u banapal and jsx

gaijin, that’s what I’m saying - call it what it is, don’t create a false blanket category that now encompasses both master independent lutheir or makers versus just small time independent shops, like idk man

I think it’s the blanket that over encompasses more than one area of our guitar world as you note

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mm, I didn't mention small makers, which is a whole other thing - you're paying for the labour, experience/reputation, and so on. As someone who plays nylon string a lot, there is a world of difference between a factory instrument and one a person spent a couple of months building from scratch. People don't blink when paying 5-10k or more for a luthier built instrument.

Anyway, guitars are cheap compared to viols and other orchestral instruments :LOL:.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mm, I didn't mention small makers, which is a whole other thing - you're paying for the labour, experience/reputation, and so on. As someone who plays nylon string a lot, there is a world of difference between a factory instrument and one a person spent a couple of months building from scratch. People don't blink when paying 5-10k or more for a luthier built instrument.

Anyway, guitars are cheap compared to viols and other orchestral instruments :LOL:.
I was referring to gaijin at that point (re: small makers) - for clarity
The opening initial line was just general agreement wityou and jsx

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
FWIW ive seen "boutique" guitars at "boutique NAMM" booths and they are cool - boutique isn't quite the word I would use, its more avant-garde and unaffordable, but I think thats what boutique actually means....like its ridiculous the things I see on certain sites and YouTube and the biggest "7" string forum - as Formerly Given to Fly said, with so much gear and NGD talk, where's the music man?
I assume this is a good representation of what you are talking about: ENTOUR MAGAZINE | Boutique Guitar Showcase

I think guitars like this are interesting and I'm glad they exist. I do not think they set any sort of standard, they are just very different. My 2¢.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I assume this is a good representation of what you are talking about: ENTOUR MAGAZINE | Boutique Guitar Showcase

I think guitars like this are interesting and I'm glad they exist. I do not think they set any sort of standard, they are just very different. My 2¢.
Great link.
I enjoyed flipping through. This 63k+ guitar has a switch with 64 positions. It's likely that when you find your favorite sound, you can't change it because you won't find it again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Speaking of boutique picks, like the blue chip. There also was a kit you could get for around 35 dollars, where you made your own picks from milk. My friend at a music store (local mom and pop) was selling the kits. But only being able to make one pick at a time wouldn’t have worked for me. Picks last me on average, about a day or two.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Speaking of boutique picks, like the blue chip. There also was a kit you could get for around 35 dollars, where you made your own picks from milk. My friend at a music store (local mom and pop) was selling the kits. But only being able to make one pick at a time wouldn’t have worked for me. Picks last me on average, about a day or two.
Milk? Did it come with the kit or did you have to supply your own because there are many types of milk? :unsure:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Milk? Did it come with the kit or did you have to supply your own because there are many types of milk? :unsure:
You buy the kit, and buy a gallon of milk at the store. The kits were about 35 dollars. Gallon of milk, you know, about $3.99. So you are all in for under 40 bucks. He tried to sell these kits out of the music store, but if you don’t mix up the ingredients just right, you will wind up with a pick that. Has less white areas (sometimes more clear) and the picks are a little floppy compared to say a Fender medium.

So you heat 2 cups of milk and add two tablespoons of vinegar. The kit just has a mold to mold the casein plastic into a pick shape. I don’t know if they even sell these kits anymore. There is an article on one of the Martin guitar sites about it.

I never tried it as I thought it was just ridiculous. But some guys think that the “tone” is better with these. The only home made do it yourself chemistry I ever did was dissolving styrofoam into gasoline to make “Napalm” when I was a kid at 4th of July. It seems that the casein -Ickes have to dry for several days before You can sand them and use them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You know what, actually the milk picks wouldn’t be a bad idea if you made your own molds. Silicone might be good to use. If I can just fine an alternative to using formaldehyde to harden the plastic quickly (like overnight). I have a line out to a friend that is a chemistry professor. If we can find something that isn’t carcinogenic for the hardening process, I just might be able to make my friend some Gibson Jazz picks that they haven’t made for 30 years. She still has one that I could use to make a mold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts