Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys ever had a refret? If so, about how much did it cost? I am on the fence on whether to get my Ibanez RG550 neck re-fretted or maybe just buy a new neck.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
if you like the neck get it refretted, if not buy another with frets already on it ;)

dont know how much refrets are in the US, its between £90-200 here dependnig on the work and board etc...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am tempted just to buy another neck. I do like the one I have but it almost seems more cost effective to just buy a new one... Then again all the cool custom neck guys are in the UK or other places outside the US and the dollar still sucks against the pound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
why not spend the money on a how to book.....fret wire and the tools needed to do the job? It's the american way!

And after you do it...post pics....a writeup on how its done.....

I'll for sure read it and save it to my archives!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a little hesitant to get into fretwork. I can do re-wiring, small repairs, etc but fretwork is something that takes a lot of time and practice. That is why it is so expensive I suppose.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
get a price from a decent local tech, then compare it with the price of a new neck.
it might be that you only need a level and crown which is more likely to be $50.
a good fretjob will transform your guitar, make it play better, bring back notes that were lost, add clarity and of course it allows you to choose cool new fretwire.

go to someone with a god reputation, I have heard of and seen some pretty poor work.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Definitely get your hands on some work the luthier's done previously to make sure it's decent and that you're comfortable with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts