Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own an RG320FM? How do you like it? I really like the way the blue one looks. I sold an older RG470 a while ago and I kind of miss it. With my limited budget I was thinking of getting one of these.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have one:) but in amber! For the price its Amazing! The bridge is excellent...the pickups are sweet and the neck is awsome ( remeber its compared to the cost) Lets jsut say its worth more money then what they sell it for.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm looking at getting one of these as well. The one I played really impressed me. For the money, awesome. Bit like JPM too, but without the craaaazy paint-job.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Very good guitars for the money. You can't beat some of the features the others have listed above. I sell a bunch of these at my store, and have never had any complaints!
Josh

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes, it's an excellent guitar for the money. The INF pickups are a definite improvement over the old powersound pickups and the Edge III is a solid double locking trem.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i don't own one but i tried it out excessively at my dealer's. the INF pickups are definitely better sounding than the Powersounds but the covered version in the S520 sounds very sweet to me. there's so much negative talk about the EdgeIII vibrato but having tried one, it's a very acceptable unit. if you think, you need a single coil in there, the RG350/ 370 are also very good guitars to own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i managed to grab the last one outta my store, and i REALLY love it. for being as inexpensive as it is, it smokes any other guitar out there man, go for it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why people on this website badmouth the Edge Pro II/Edge III so much. I've tried the Edge Pro/Edge Pro II/Edge III and I think that they are all great trems that beat out all of those Licensed Floyd Rose trems. I own a RG370DX with the Edge III trem and I love it to death. I've also played the hell out of an RG320FM and an RG320DXFM both with Edge Pro II's and I would say that the Edge Pro II/Edge III are the same quality but to me the Edge III looks better visually because it's a bit smaller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I recently purchased a fire burst 2004 model RG320FM, and even though the tech on board isn't the greatest, it is one very mean little guitar. Sadly it was a year too early and got stuck with those crappy powersound pickups instead of the INF's which is not that bad cause i plan to replace them both anyway, (Im gonna get an EMG 81 active in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck). Anyway I'm not sure if i can agree though that the Edge III is smaller than the Edge Pro II. Being made in 2004, my guitar has an Edge Pro II I think (it has those cool little ball end holders in the bridge so I am told its an EP II), and it is a very stable trem. The only real downer on it is the stupid screw on trem arm, it's just too low and wabbley unlike the bar on the first EP trem that moves all fluid like and stuff. Anyway right now I am looking for one of those awesome Wizard II necks with the sharkfin inlays like on the RG EX/DX models. Hey does anyone know someone who might be selling one of these?

Overall I have to give it up to the 2005 RG320FM for the upgrades such as the INF pickups and better quality electronics. But still there were a number of downgrades it got such as the one tone color FM top (mine is red on the edge then fades into amber like fire) and the larger Edge III trem (my EP II is small enough to be mistaken for a normal trem at first glance!). Hey but if you want a good guitar to customize and mess with, the RG320FM is the way to go, (P.S. I think that the new lavender finish is wicked awesome).

Laters
-DoomsdayChild-

·
Registered
30 Posts
I own a similar guitar - 320DXQM. I was astounded by how great this guitar is, and I would have been willing to pay hundreds of dollards more for a guitar with this kind of quality. The playability was the best out of all the Ibeenhads in the store (Guitar Center). I had it a year and play it for 1-6 hours a day, every day, and it's holding up like a dream. I did change the pickups to Dimarzio's, but it sounded just as good with the stock PSND's.

Hats off to those Koreans. They make a fine guitar for next to nothing $. Get the 320FM. It's gorgeous and you have very little to lose if you decide you don't like it. It's only about $300-$400, right? Not like shelling out thousands for a Jem or a LesPaul.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Very true, very true. But if you're going to go that route then I would suggest getting the RG320DXQM like Mo Fo simply because it has the bound fretboard and sharktooth inlays I believe. They still sell the 2003 versions with EPII's at the Guitar Center around here.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
just picked up one of the new ones in transparent lavender with the INF pickups and the edgeIII bridge. (i'm on a buying spree right now... got an RG550 arriving this week, too! all this a month or so after buying a JEM!)

initial thoughts: seems okay. action is way up in the clouds. will need some set up work before i hand down my judgement. INF3&4 pickups don't have the same sensitivity as the INF1&2's in my RGT42FMDR.

these new edgeIII's are supposed to be set parallel to the body like the edgepros, yeah? any setup tips on the edgeIII appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you guys wanna check out the specs on the Edge Pro, Edge Pro II, Edge III, and even the ZR trems! just go to this link and scroll down to page 86 and you can see the trem specs of 2005. Its the catalog of 2005 from Ibanez and its got all sorts of awesome guitars and gear on it as well as detailed specs of the parts on the newer models.
http://www.ibanez.com/catalog/IBANEZ_2005_COLLECTORS_CAT.PDF
well i hope that you guys can find this link helpful because it really cleared up a lot of things for me.
Oh and i was right, my RG320FM dose have an Edge Pro II in it. Well as for the Edge III, the specs say it really is like a Lo-Pro trem and it has a pretty well balenced little knife edge. I still say that the Edge Pro II is smaller in comparison to the Edge III, but everyone is intittled to their own opinion.
But really, does anyone know where i can buy a RG EX (DX) style neck with the cool sharkfin inlays and the binding?

laters
-DoomsdayChild-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts