1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really diggin this pup in my ibanez
it is much clearer than the TZ and has a better "METAL" tone like a EMG 81 has
it actually reminds me of a emg 81 but with a better lead voice and mids
I play everything from RATT to slayer on it,it is pretty versitle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
what ibanez do you have it in?
how's the bottom end? looking at the tone chart, the JB seems to lack bass, but how is it in actual use?
i'm planning to try a JB/custom hybrid in my RGA121. according to folks at the Duncan forums, the hybrid retains the nice mids of the JB but adds a beefier bottom to it.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erikm5150 said:
what ibanez do you have it in?
how's the bottom end? looking at the tone chart, the JB seems to lack bass, but how is it in actual use?
i'm planning to try a JB/custom hybrid in my RGA121. according to folks at the Duncan forums, the hybrid retains the nice mids of the JB but adds a beefier bottom to it.
it is in this RG
http://www.northerndrumcentre.com/assets/images/2362004PICT0123.jpg

the JB has a nice tight non muddy bottom and handles gain great!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have one in my ESP MII-Deluxe. For some odd reason it sounds better than any other JB I've tried and I KNOW it's a because it's marked as a TB-4 under it. I dunno if it's because I have no tone pot on that guitar but it just sounds crunchy and very METAL.

I'm tempted to try the JB/Custom hybrid 'cause I got a Custom here somewhere that's not being used cause I didn't like the way it sounded. (a little too scooped for my likings..).

note: I also had a JB-7 in my RG2127 that I sold and I gotta say that the JB sounds awesome in a mahogany bodied guitar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the JB in an Rg. Its great. The tone zone has way too much bass for a good comparison there. I tried the Fred which has that Dimarzio sparkly high sound without all the bass and that's cool as well. But the Jb is great for that raw rock n roll sound.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i use the jb. i have it in several guitars: sz520 and fender tele deluxe HH. it is my go to pickup for a "hotter than vintage" tone. for the metal stuff i like to use the duncan custom. i am an avid tone zone fan, but the mids of a jb really sound great on a mahogany stoptail. which is why i will be putting another jb in the arc300 when i get it, coupled with an alnico2 pro.

rich

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've got a JB (TB-4) in an alder body stainless fret Warmoth Strat and another in my Ibanez RG-750. It naturally sounds brighter in the alder/stainless than the Ibanez basswood but it sounds good in both. I'll probably be putting one in my new RG-121 soon as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.