Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All it would be to me is a nifty conversation piece, but that is why I posted it. :p

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The only triple that made sense was Vai's 12/6/6 Fretless w/ Sustainer.
There he had three different guitars to fool around with.
The one shown in this post just looks like it has different pups on the middle and bottom 6's. What's the point, unless you enjoy paying outrageous chiropractor bills?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper (in terms of cost of a quality triple-neck and chiropractor fees) to hire a buddy for a 6-pack of beers to hand you the guitars you need while playing live? Or just use a 7 string (while lets you play the 6-string stuff) and a chorus pedal (to get a 12-string sound)?

·
Registered
664 Posts
its made by galveston and you see them all over the bay, a while a go, i was tempted from a project point of view, but gave up in the end. the thing is upwards of 20 pounds aswell.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hey, it was late at night when I posted that, cut me some slack ;)

This may be a stupid question but why do the multi-neck guitars always have the tail piece set so far away from the bridge?
the only thing i can think of is maybe a right hand comfort issue, and that in order to play the bottom one then some people may find the tailpiece of the others getting in the way?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can't think of any reason to own one. The only practical reason to play a double neck is if you need to switch between guitars during one song, like between chorus and solo. If you have to switch between three guitars during a song, you might as well have someone else play some of the guitar parts. Switching between three guitars during one song sounds a bit gimicky.

In fact, there are probably fewer and fewer practical reasons to play multineck guitars live these days, with the variety of new guitars and new pedals that are out there now (for example: the new Fender VG guitar, the new Steinberger guitar with the rolling capo, the EVH d-Tuna, the Kaiser tuning swiching capos, or the Electro-Harmonix POG pedal which replicates 12-string sounds better than anything else that I've heard before). None of these things will fully replace the double neck guitar, but I'm just saying that there are more and more options out there these days. And those multi-neck guitars aren't getting any lighter.

-- Ken

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
the only thing i can think of is maybe a right hand comfort issue, and that in order to play the bottom one then some people may find the tailpiece of the others getting in the way?
That's kind of what I was thinking too, I just wanted to hear if there were any other reasons for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts