Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're pretty awesome. I've been using the neck and middle with a humbucker in the bridge for a while, but recently swapped pickguards and grabbed the ML bridge, and I've never played a bridge singlecoil I've enjoyed this much. It's absurd - I gotta shoot some good video with these, they're just such a musical sounding pickup set. Kind of, to my ears, reminiscent of Fender's Custom 69 set, but a bit hotter and without that stupid vintage polepiece stagger.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I have not played these but I'm building a Strat and am trying to decide on pickups. I was leaning towards a noiseless set, but now I'm starting to think that I have plenty of guitars like that and true singles is kind of what makes a Strat a Strat. Right?

I'm looking for that classic The Edge/U2 vibe and these seem like they could be a good option.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really liked the Dimarzio Area set, so if you go noiseless I'd give them a look...

...but at the end of the day, yeah - I have a S-H superstrat and a RG550, so as far as "modern" six strings go I'm pretty good. I wanted to convert my Strat back into more of a blues machine. Slightly higher action, SSS, more of a traditional single coil voicing. The Suhrs do a good job for that. I actually wouldn't mind having a set with a little less low and mid girth to them in the neck and middle, but the flip side of that is they sound amazingly full with the gain around noon on my Roadster.

They're also very height sensitive - lower, they tend to sound smoother and gentler in the high end, whereas as they get higher the high end gets a little more aggressive. If you wanted a sweet-sounding 50s or 60s voicing, these set pretty low would probably do the trick, but for aggressive blues playing I like them more closer to the limit at which magnetic pull becomes a problem.

Can't help you on Edge/U2 - I know nothing more about his sound than "use delay." :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts