Ibanez JEM Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
I read a couple pages looking, can you point it out? Because if it is a parts employee guitar getting that plate would have been pretty tough. Not impossible though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The reason I asked about the serial number was to see if it was an 87, because I had to read this thread a couple of times to get all the details. I see that the volume knob is in the post 1990 position, but I further see that you did that on purpose. I probably would have it to remain original as possible and have the volume in the original LNG 1987 position.

Because when I saw that plus, and my eyes can be playing tricks on me from some of the old pics, I could swear I saw some yellow in some of the scar pockets. Also, the radius on the edges of the guitar, LNG's had smoother/rounder radius on the edge. So, I was wondering if it could have possibly been a refinished DY.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
I read that.

Was this guy an Efkay employee or a HUSA employee?

This 12 additional "guitars" that were built not numbered didn't register at the time because I didn't mention anything about it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The reason I asked about the serial number was to see if it was an 87, because I had to read this thread a couple of times to get all the details. I see that the volume knob is in the post 1990 position, but I further see that you did that on purpose. I probably would have it to remain original as possible and have the volume in the original LNG 1987 position.

Because when I saw that plus, and my eyes can be playing tricks on me from some of the old pics, I could swear I saw some yellow in some of the scar pockets. Also, the radius on the edges of the guitar, LNG's had smoother/rounder radius on the edge. So, I was wondering if it could have possibly been a refinished DY.
I've got that poor old pickguard tucked away. It was in roughed-up shape for sure.
Yes on purpose =] I knock into the old location volume knobs - my '88 FP drove me nuts in that regard...

It's the pictures; what might look yellow is in fact white - I guess the base coat to bring up the neon is white on these... rather thick finish too.
I just spent a few minutes digging for the under-the-hood photos I've taken over time, but they're not right at my grasp right off the bat. I'll continue to hunt - if you see the under the hood shots you'll see the evidence that it was painted LNG from day one. I'm sure you can imagine the tells on that, as it would be near impossible to remove all the paint and evidence that way.

Once I find some of those pics I'll have to add them to my FB album, as I have no upload capacity here otherwise...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I read that.

Was this guy an Efkay employee or a HUSA employee?

This 12 additional "guitars" that were built not numbered didn't register at the time because I didn't mention anything about it.
Good question; that's one I'll have to see if I can get an answer on - been some time since I contacted that fellow.
I'll give it a try.

EDIT: sent off a message - hopefully I get a response so that I can ask these further questions.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
This is a great Ibanez story!

It's really nice how this all worked out.

This would mean more to me than just buying a LNG in the normal way.

How many people can say they saw their LNG get signed and numbered?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks - and I agree. Adds a nice twist to the tale, having it come around to him signing and numbering it in front of me.
... and without any more prompting than to tell him it'd never been a numbered one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Okay; just got back in contact with the previous owner, so maybe some more clarification can be had on the background of this interesting LNG.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
So, there was one degree of separation that I didn't understand from the story; the guys were networking in the store chain, and the previous owner had asked their Vancouver branch back at the time if they had any Jems - to which his friend and contact there said there was a BSB.
Previous owner 'A' told his contact he wasn't looking for that era, but more for early Jems. His contact said that the in-house tech at that branch used to work for Hoshino USA, with some type of attachment to the L.A. Custom Shop, and that he would ask if he had or knew of anything.
The tech sent back through that he had two that he was willing to part with, an original Jem and a Blue Floral. They struck a deal at some decently low cost, and the two were sent off via transfer to 'A' without much fuss - 'A' can do lots of deep repair and restoration work, so that wasn't an issue.
So he didn't find out that the original Jem was in fact a LNG until he received the transferred instruments, and was quite happy, ultimately learning that it was one of about 12 which were done outside of the 777 and essentially given as 'prizes' within the company, and hence weren't signed.
Unfortunately there was a 'kerfuffle' in the offing, and the end result of that was that he had to trade back in those instruments and some others.
... Apparently the LNG spent some time tucked in the manager's office until he decided what to do with it, and ultimately, it wound up out on the showroom floor just in time for me to walk in and see it... and now loop back to the beginning of my tale.

'A' continues to describe this as he 'one that got away,' though he also manages to be happy that someone like me who cares for it, has restored it some, and now managed to get a signature - not to mention the wild '778' designation - has custody of it.
He said it would be different if I were a d*ck - a quote from our phone conversation yesterday.

When I told Mr. Vai the abbreviated version of the history, I can also say that he didn't flinch, didn't re-examine the LNG with a critical eye, didn't exhibit even a hint or millisecond of hesitation or skepticism...

I realized my internal shots of the pockets etc were done before I was using a digital camera, so those pics are on a roll of film somewhere... so I'll have to pop it back open next maintenance in order to photograph the stampings to show'n'tell =]

So, that's the sharpening-up of some of the details I got from 'A' - was a fun conversation, as we have much in common.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
I can believe there were 12 bodies made for parts replacements, and at least as many necks, but I do not believe anything was given away as a "prize". They would sell off these parts to employees long after they served no useful purpose, and there was always plenty of things that just disappeared as security at the time was pretty much non existent. But it would be an employee guitar either way.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Quite possible; 'A' can only relate it as it was told to him.
Perhaps that person won the opportunity to purchase it - or perish the thought, but it was something that 'went missing' and wound up in his possession. In that case, I'm sure he wouldn't tell it to him that way.

Rich, if you ever hear of anything conclusive about this from one of your deep contacts, please let me know; I'd certainly like to know one way or another how this might correlate to other possible similar 'outsiders' to the family like mine.

Meantime, I'll try to remember to link some photos of the pocket stamping etc.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Bill Reim is the only one left. JD is trying to forget everything that had to do with Ibanez. Mace was at NAMM this year and I was in the middle of talking to him, he saw somebody, said he'd be right back, never saw him again.

It is what it is, some things will never be known.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Mace - that's interesting. Last I'd heard anything about him, he'd left the industry to work on something else entirely... was it aeronautics? Planes... something like that.

Too bad Jim feels like he needs to distance himself from that; he was right in the midst of the heyday of it all.

As always, thanks for your input Rich.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
If I understood him right Mace is working as an auto mechanic. And he was very excited to be there and see the few people that he still knew.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
That's wild.
I remember - I've got the picture tucked away - of him holding what must have been one of the first of not the first green Jem prototype.
It was a 'muddier' kind of almost forest green, and the grip was perilously close to the top edge, and rather larger... the pickguard still had the Blazer type 'swoop' on the top - more Tele than Strat inspired on that part.
And it had an early palm rest which was stubbier but wider, with the landing feet wide apart in a sort of delta 'triangular' aspect.
Pink pickups topped that off.
I wonder what happened to that one? =]

81 - 98 of 98 Posts