Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering creating a site with the intention of making some money from advertising sometime in the future. I know next to nothing about it, so I would really appreciate any information from anyone, that's if anyone here is doing anything similar.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't run a site for advertising purposes, but I have run and developed many sites and still operate a couple of fairly busy sites. I think it depends on a couple of things. Why are people going to come to your site? It is WAY more difficult to get people to visit a site than most realize. The competition to get people to a particular site is fierce. You have to be very unique in what you offer and do an excellent job of presenting it. Secondly, if you are able to put together a site that can garner lots of traffic, what do you intend on advertising? Is it just general banner/link ads or is it something more specific where you're going to seek out advertising clients? I realize this doesn't really answer your questions, but I'm simply trying to get you to think about a couple of these things since I've had several people talk to me about doing something similar.

I would visit some similar busy sites ( as what you want ) and see what ads they run, decipher why people visit their site over others, and do some solid research on how much it costs to run a busy server. It can be expensive and time consuming if you do it all yourself, but it's possible to do it successfully.

Best of luck with it!
paul

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Paul, very helpful indeed. I had actually thought of asking you a few questions as I know you run John Petrucci's site as well as the RMA site, not forgetting to mention your site which is presented very well.

I have a few ideas at the moment, but I still need to do much more research, I was originally intending to go for banner ads, I'm not familiar with how to go about gaining advertising clients, not exactly sure how it differs from just having link/banner ads either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Advertising for yourself? Or just to run ads and make money?

I am helping someone build a website - an online programmer's community (like slashdot), which he will advertise his web hosting service on. He has wanted to do a website like that for years, so it's both something he wanted to do and it helps better his business.

·
Registered
442 Posts
did you all hear of that one gauy who started a sited called million dollar ads, or sumthin like that, and sold sets of 100 mega pixels ( or sumthin like that) for a dollar each mega pixel, and when it came down to the last set of pixels, he sold it on **** and got like 30k for it, . some college kid came up with this dump ass ideaa and make a million dolars of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.