Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
title edited for clarity and reopened. even though this is duplicate thread, if you want to discuss it specifically here too then knock yourselves out... glen

·
Registered
868 Posts
saw them across at the projectguitar forum a while back. They look like a great idea. I would be a bit weary about buying one though, because if I was to block my trem I could do it for free (virtually) with a bit of wood, and that bit of wood may also improve my tone... and I doubt these would :)
-better shred than dead-ANDY

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
it is a great little thing which I find really useful

I am still trying mine out but it really solves the problem of changing between drop D and standard tuning with the same guitar. Which I was doing in seconds between songs during band rehearsals.

It of course adds stability to standard tuning for greater riff-tastic-ness :D

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
simon, do you notice any change in the the flutter and trem feel when the device is unlocked compared to before it was installed? ...glen

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Glen-Difficult to tell. There might be some less flutter and a different feel to the trem but it is slight.

I think I would have to take it off again and re-check the trem feel without it. I think I have got used to it being on now!

For my style of playing and whammy bar use it has made no difference. :D

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think it's a great idea for those who want the flexibility to go from full-floating trem to experimenting with alternate tunings (or even stabilizing the bridge after a broken string) on the fly. Combine it with a D-Tuna on a full-floating trem guitar and you've got a lot of options.

I can easily see companies like Fender (who now owns the Floyd Rose patents), Ibanez, Schaller or Gotoh potentially licensing this thing.

Can't stand the name, though. "Tremo-no" would have rolled off the tongue better than "Tremol-no".

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
cerealk said:
Glen-Difficult to tell. There might be some less flutter and a different feel to the trem but it is slight.

I think I would have to take it off again and re-check the trem feel without it. I think I have got used to it being on now!

For my style of playing and whammy bar use it has made no difference. :D
gotcha. you have this on the BMC? might not notice the diference... sort of what some trem-stabilizer users say, depending on usage but w/o screwing into the body (also w/o the double stop broken string issue fix).

has potential, as stated above it's too early to call, especially w/o pricing & availability... glen

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
it is a good idea (and potentially very useful for some) and a lot of people will be interested in trying one out :D

·
Vendor
26,330 Posts
Kev just told me he did redesign the claw to prevent spring walking. I'll be picking mine up out in LA and give it a good test. Promising idea for those that could use it but as Kev knows I spent the last 8 years on my Les Paul wanting nothing more than a floater, hardtails I have no use for [or alternate tunings]. The idea that you could use this to lock the bridge after breaking a string during a performance is weak, you'd be locking it out of tune, better just to stop and grab the backup of course ;)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yeah well erm uh... drama aside:

I've been talking to Kev about this since the beginning, but have yet to see anything beyond what's on the official website. In theory it is a very neat idea and something I'd *probably* use. However, without someone like me being able to pick one up in any way/shape/form, it means nothing. I could easily forsee an upstart company picking the idea up and marketing it along with a small number of other products. As logical as it may be, I don't really see it having an Ibanez patent. It just seems they are hesitant to take too many risks on additional options to guitars.

I guess I'm with Glen, nice idea, but talk to me when I can buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Jeroenn said:
Oh wait, Cerealk is moderatly positive
:D
I would say I was more than that. :wink:

I am giving it a proper run through over a number of months before I give a full report back to Kevan. I can also post here if you like ;)

There are many more people who have one who are far more qualified (and talented) than me to judge its merits.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I love this at the bottom of Kev's FAQ

Tremol-No is a registered trademark of Tremol-No, LLC
Bigsby is a registered trademark of Bigsby Accessories
Fender is a registered trademark of Fender Musical Instruments, Inc.
Ibanez is a registered trademark of Hoshino-Gakki Ltd., Japan
Kahler is a registered trademark of American Precision Metalworks
Parker is a registered trademark of Parker Guitars
Steinberger is a registered trademark of Gibson Guitar Corporation.
Wilkinson is a registered trademark of Gotoh
Wonderbar is a registered trademark of Washburn International.
Paul Gilbert is just plain cool.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think this device looks like a really good idea. Its the kinda of thing i've been looking for, for some time.

I await with great anticipation :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rich said:
The idea that you could use this to lock the bridge after breaking a string during a performance is weak, you'd be locking it out of tune, better just to stop and grab the backup of course ;)
I'm not exactly in the know about this device, but wouldnt you be able to level out the trem with the bar, lock the tremo-no, and then continue?
Getting the backup would probably be easier, but if you already have a lot of guitars with you (acoustics etc) a backup may not be an option. A backup might not also be an option if your using the backup, and you have no one to restring your main guitar.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
jemsite said:
I felt it would have a niche market but has some obvious limitations due to the floating bridge
bingo.
niche product that will most probably never be available installed on a guitar but rather as an after sale accesorie like the tremseter.
Very limited market as most people who want a fixed bridge will get a fixed bridge and those of us that like floating trems will like to have a fluttering floating trem.
Chalk it up to great ideas that never catch on as they are not that great and the market for them is too small.

Saying that, I will probably buy one when they become available and if they are not too expensive (less than $35)

ilia

p.s. Artist that would work but you'll need a tuner so you can lock it down just right while holding your guitar upside down, pulling on the bar and tightening screws - not that easy.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Well that won't fully simulate the frustraition of a mid-gig, mid-song string breakage that will knock everything out of tune and you'll have to stand there like a pillock, holding your guitar upside down and twisting like crazy while stressing out wheter you're locking it even remotely in tune to your bandmates.

In that position I much rather go for the backup - 15 second job.

Granted if you already have the thing locked in place and break a string with no audiable effect - most impresive.
The other guitar players in the audience will be mighty puzzled. :D

ilia

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
LOL. it obviously will only accomidate a string break if the bridge is fixed with the device and not floating (ie. like if a wood block was inserted)... glen

1 - 20 of 272 Posts