Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 40 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I love on the endorsees page, I'm thinking "Who's Rachael Ziegler?", and it links to Victoria's Secret.
Anyway, it looks like a great idea, I hope they get made, I love gadgets, I'd TOTALLY buy one. I see no reason to 'shoot this down'! This fixes something guitarists who use floating trems complain about all the time. The best I could come up with was the Schaller Trem-Stop. Which only gives me fixed for double stop bends but not enough strength for string breakage or de-tuning. WD Trem Stabilizer pretty much is like blocking, except that you can pull up with some difficulty. And the Hipshot Tremsetter is way too stiff for me. That's why I like the Trem_Stop, because I can totally take it out of the equation. And this Tremol-No sounds even better if it will hold a string break.

·
Vendor
26,390 Posts
First time I saw it I said "Damn, what a siple idea, why the hell didn't I think of that?!?!" [answer, I have no need for a hardtail, but the idea and product are still sound] ;)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Well,
I just got mine today, and I can honestly say wow, I am impressed. There have been many times I've wanted to be able to drop tune my ibanez's but that's a challenge and then some. I think it's a great idea. I was in on the project from it's inception, gave Kevan crash courses in CAD for it, and now that I have one I will give it the LGM test drive. Tomorrow it will go into the 911 and we'll see what it does.

I really see it being a good design. I'm looking forward to testing it out :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Okay, I have a question... How does that thing work without sliding back and forth along the claw screws? ;)

I think it needs one more thing... Some type of allen-key tighteners, so that you can drill holes in the back plate to adjust it. I refuse to play my guitars without a backplate. My shirts inevitably get stuck in the springs at some point.

I've thought of building something like this, but with my meager income, it would've been years before I could afford even the patents. Kev gets a lot of respect from me just for giving it a shot... More than I could pull off..

My silly idea was different, and only blocked the trem from raising pitch.. Sort of a mechanical version of the 'block' included with the Jem10th.

Hell, the bottle cap from a 20oz soda does what I want, after a little sanding, and filling in.. Dump the trem, drop the cap in the rout, let go. Instant hardtail. :D

If these see production, I'll get one. Have to mod it so I can keep my backplate though.. This thing, + plus a D-Tuna, would be very nice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Kevan has come up with some pretty good ideas I think. Look at his wiring ideas for the RG202x guitars. Next thing you know, Ibanez used some of those same simple ideas in the next generation of those guitars. This idea is the same sort of thing... simple, practical, and looks like a nice improvement if you want that sort of thing.

Myself, I do. I think it would neat to have that for when you want to stiffen up and try a new tuning or something. I'm not really a big user of alternate tunings... except that my REGULAR tuning is a bit whacky. It would be neat to tune up to standard at a drop if I wanted to. I hope this gadget becomes available, but even if it doesn't, I still think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Commentary on drama: I think glen's being pretty cool about this, considering his and Kevan's past history of disagreements. Besides, he's always struck me as a skeptic. ;) I personally see no pronounced personal vendxetta in his commentary.

Commentary on Tremo-no- Yeah, Kev's been telling me about this for a while, and every once in a while sends a bit of a teaser over- product brochure he's checking printability/layout for, etc. (I'm sure about half the site can say that, lol, from what I know of the guy). At first, I was a bit unsure of the idea, but after I saw a diagram and a few pics of the things installed, I'm pretty enthused by the idea. On-the-fly lockout, what I'd really love, would be a bit tricky with this or any similar design, but the ability to lock the trem for drop tunings, or lock the trem for a bending-heavy song where you don't want to worry about compensating for compound bends (i still can't hit those 100% in tune on a floating bridge- how the hell do you guys do that? PM's welcome... i try to compensate with pressure from my palm, but...), then change your mind halfway through the tune, hit a big, "feel-y" bend and quickly twist two knobs on the back and dive merrily away is QUITE appealing. I'm currently trying to find a way to pimp my Britany Spears-lookalike sister out to Kev to score one for myself.

But yeah, I agree, darren- I hate the name, too. Oh well. (Yankee) Rose by any other name...

-D

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
toshiro said:
Okay, I have a question... How does that thing work without sliding back and forth along the claw screws? ;)I think it needs one more thing... Some type of allen-key tighteners, so that you can drill holes in the back plate to adjust it.
Check out Part #SS-01 on the parts diagram. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
vaijem777 said:
toshiro said:
Okay, I have a question... How does that thing work without sliding back and forth along the claw screws? ;)I think it needs one more thing... Some type of allen-key tighteners, so that you can drill holes in the back plate to adjust it.
Check out Part #SS-01 on the parts diagram. :)
Ah, I see it now.. Thanks.. :)

I have way too many questions about this thing, since it's not even in manufacture yet.. :lol:(example: Will it hold the bridge in place with all the strings removed? that would cut down string-change time.)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
toshiro said:
Will it hold the bridge in place with all the strings removed? that would cut down string-change time.)
As long as it's in the "locked" position before you take the strings off, why wouldn't it? :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
hmmm... I almost hate to jump in on this thread, but since I have some experience with the gadget...

I have been recording my brains out and always use my 7-string guitars. The trems cause subtle pitch problems when bending notes which, in the studio, are more than subtle. So I put this thing on the one that gives me the most trouble, the BK. Two allen wrenches and a phillips and its in. I play a whole song in perfect pitch and when I needed the whammy on the lead part, I turn the thumb screws and wack away. Cool!

When locked I am experiencing better sustain and tone. That was a happy side effect.

I have a couple hard tail guitars but they don't have 7 strings, so I rarely use them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't need the tremol-no, I just make my own little trem-bridge blocks. All you need to make these things is your guitar, a ruler, some wood, and a saw.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
guitarkatana said:
I don't need the tremol-no, I just make my own little trem-bridge blocks. All you need to make these things is your guitar, a ruler, some wood, and a saw.
Blocks of wood are fine if you don't have any interest in quickly and easily reversing the blocked trem. OR if you don't mind gluing or screwing a chunk o' wood in your trem cavity. Personally, I think I'll wait and stick a Tremol-no in my DNA. A wood block just doesn't seem like the best solution anymore. ;)

As stated in the FAQ on the site....:
"The Tremol-No™ will install with no drilling, routing, sanding, pilot holes, or double-stick tape. It is designed to be installed without any modifications to the guitar."

"It can be installed, and removed, non-invasively. No one ever has to know it was on there."

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
vaijem777 said:
guitarkatana said:
Blocks of wood are fine if you don't have any interest in quickly and easily reversing the blocked trem. OR if you don't mind gluing or screwing a chunk o' wood in your trem cavity. Personally, I think I'll wait and stick a Tremol-no in my DNA. A wood block just doesn't seem like the best solution anymore. ;)
Not to mention, I don't see Steve Blucher having much to say about your "wood block-no"...

Bamm

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
bammbamm said:
Not to mention, I don't see Steve Blucher having much to say about your "wood block-no"...Bamm
LOL Yeah...the full licensed name would be the "Woodblock-no-mo'", but it's just too long to stamp on each unit. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
LOL.

That said i'd bet you can mill out a nice oak block for pennies, burn/emboss a cute name like "block-it" and sell these for a nice profit, cheap shipping with zero inventory. :) ...glen

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Here's my idea: A lever on the back of your trem cover, which, when turned one way leaves the trem alone. When turned the other way it blocks the trem. That's it. If you break a string you just rotate the lever until you are back in tune. 3 seconds. Anyone interested? Anyone know anything about patent law? I'll cut you in for half.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
frankfalbo said:
Here's my idea: A lever on the back of your trem cover, which, when turned one way leaves the trem alone. When turned the other way it blocks the trem. That's it. If you break a string you just rotate the lever until you are back in tune. 3 seconds. Anyone interested? Anyone know anything about patent law? I'll cut you in for half.
Doesn't the Parker trem work this way?
I thought there was also an older Wilkinson model that could supposedly be locked based on the position the bar was in, although I've never actually seen one in person.

--B

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There are several trems including Kahlers and Wilkinsons (with Steinberger pioneering it) that had a latching system. So when the bar was down, it locked. The problem is that we know how sensitive these things are, and in different temperatures, or if you have to tune up or down 1 cent to match a piano or keyboard, you will be locking the trem slightly out of tune. Also the bar no longer swings out of the way, and most found that annoying. It would almost swing down to the point that it was IN the way :( The general rule is that if the stuff that were, aint anymore, there's a reason. Now in Kahler's case they just couldn't fight the FR money machine. Some of their stuff was better, but the auto latch still locked you in a predetermined float, therefore locking you out of tune unless your trem was perfectly balanced that day.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Oh guys,It seems like a sweet idea,and i'd love to give one a try,I never got to know Keven,But i know he had some way smart idea's

On another note,You guys really do make me chuckle,I've really enjoyed reading this whole thread ... Thanks ... No sarcasm at all

Now Who wants to send me one? (obviously i'll pay)

Rob

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
frankfalbo said:
It won't fix an out-of-tune guitar when you break a string, but Kevan's been quoting me 2-second lock-unlock times, and vice versa...

I definately want to get my hands on one of these, if they're within my current means (straight outta college- not compton, but might as well be), and it looks like they should be.

Back to beer pong. How big a dork AM I?

-D

21 - 40 of 272 Posts