Ibanez JEM Forum banner

41 - 60 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
frankfalbo said:
There are several trems including Kahlers and Wilkinsons (with Steinberger pioneering it) that had a latching system. So when the bar was down, it locked. The problem is that we know how sensitive these things are, and in different temperatures, or if you have to tune up or down 1 cent to match a piano or keyboard, you will be locking the trem slightly out of tune. Also the bar no longer swings out of the way, and most found that annoying. It would almost swing down to the point that it was IN the way :( The general rule is that if the stuff that were, aint anymore, there's a reason. Now in Kahler's case they just couldn't fight the FR money machine. Some of their stuff was better, but the auto latch still locked you in a predetermined float, therefore locking you out of tune unless your trem was perfectly balanced that day.
Though true, everything that blocks a trem both ways will have the same issue. We need a nike pump airbag thingy that will inflate and lock the trem where it is at that moment. I can imagine the comments as I go to blow it up..."hey, cool, you got a talkbox?" "er, not exactly, no..." ;-)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
JESTER700 said:
We need a nike pump airbag thingy that will inflate and lock the trem where it is at that moment. I can imagine the comments as I go to blow it up..."hey, cool, you got a talkbox?" "er, not exactly, no..." ;-)
No, silly, what we need is an airbag that deploys upon string breakage. Put a little co2 cartridge in there and hook it up to the saddles :wink:

Maybe Volvo or Mercedes could work something up for us.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well...after having some time to put the Tremol-no through its paces at NAMM, I can honestly say that I'm very impressed with it. It's a bulletproof unit that is easy to use and functions perfectly. I especially liked the fact that the unit can be engaged/disengaged in seconds, which makes it MUCH more versatile than a simple wooden block. When it's locked, it's locked VERY well- the trem doesn't budge.

Very cool little device! :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Not gonna work with tremsetter => not gonna work in Mr. Vai's Jems. Though I must admit - it's a brilliant idea if it actually works. Simple things like this are the toughest to get right.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Good to hear, Chris... I'm curious as hell about it for more-or-less those reasons. The ability to drop-tune my 7 in less than a half-hour IS kinda appealing... ;)

-D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I saw a few people put this through the test. I checked it out, looked at the design and the purpose of the unit. I have to say I am impressed and it works. What's nice is it just takes the place of the existing claw. No additional holes to drill, no mods to the guitar. Lock it up and detune. Just make sure you retune before unlocking ;-) Yes, I will get one for each trem equipped guitar I have once available.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I currently have mine in a floral Jem, and I love it - especially for easy drop-tuning. I'll soon install it into another guitar I'm having built specifically for drop-C tuning.

I took Tony MacAlpine by to check it out too and he was impressed. After playing it, his head was swimming with ideas about how he could use the device.

Steve also has one installed on a white Jem called "BFG" - his bus guitar during the G3 tour.

I'm really impressed that Kevan has taken this idea and turned it into reality. It's one thing to think of a good idea - but it's another to actually bring it into the physical world! I really hope the tremol-no brings him much success.

Cheers,

Mikey
vai.com

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It was good meeting you, Mikey! I think we were all stunned when you showed up with Tony in the room. I know that once it sunk in the next day, Kevan was pretty psyched. :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hm. I just had an idea.

Does anybody know if multiple D-Tunas can be installed on adjacent strings?

If so, you could add one to the first, second and sixth strings. Engage the Tremol-no, pull the three D-Tunas and you're almost instantly in DADGAD for some cool bluesy-slide stuff. Pop the D-Tunas back into their normal position and disengage the Tremol-no and you're back into full whammy mode.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Multiple DTunas can be installed on a guitar, but...once you disengage the Tremol-no on a floating trem, the DTunas would hit on the cavity if you tried to whammy up at all.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
vaijem777 said:
Multiple DTunas can be installed on a guitar, but...once you disengage the Tremol-no on a floating trem, the DTunas would hit on the cavity if you tried to whammy up at all.
Well, that's easily solved by routing channels for the D-Tunas or shimming the neck back to raise the bridge above the body.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
vaijem777 said:
So much for the "non-intrusive" nature of the Tremol-no ;)
Routing channels for the D-Tuna isn't an issue with the Tremol-no itself, now is it? What i'm talking about is going beyond merely locking the trem in place. Use your imagination a bit. ;)

For people who are really into Floyd trems AND alternate tunings, wouldn't be too hard to design a guitar around this idea.

A few years ago, i tried out a guitar with the Hipshot Trilogy bridge (three different tuning settings for each string) and was blown away by the creative possibilities. Now imagine if you could do the same thing with a trem.

·
Registered
688 Posts
C'mon now. It's a great idea. I think it has some possibilities. Darren, you think like I do. :wink:

Of course, I don't really have much use for a floating trem, but I love a trem... I use the trem a LOT. I just don't raise the pitch. That's why string bends are for! :lol: So, I just cranked my springs, put in a block, and viola! I can dive all I want, and retune (and re-string) at the drop of a hat.

Ya know, if they came up with a Parker Fly style bridge for 7's... wow. Piezo, floating trem, vintage trem, and fixed bridge, all in one. Now THAT would be a great idea.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
darren wilson said:
Does anybody know if multiple D-Tunas can be installed on adjacent strings? If so, you could add one to the first, second and sixth strings. Engage the Tremol-no, pull the three D-Tunas and you're almost instantly in DADGAD
Sorry, Darren :cry: unfortunately you don't have a whole step of play on the 1st and 2nd strings. The D-tuna could only get you about a half step at best. The only strings that can give you a whole step are the low E and the G. And this is pertinent to the thread because we're talking about what you can do with a tremol-no.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
When you start talking about routing channels in a trem cavity for DTunas, it has NOTHING to do with the Tremol-no. It's a different subject entirely, and is off-topic.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
vaijem777 said:
When you start talking about routing channels in a trem cavity for DTunas, it has NOTHING to do with the Tremol-no. It's a different subject entirely, and is off-topic.
Oh, please... i was talking about a potential way to use the Tremol-no in a musical context. You're the one who started splitting hairs about cavities, which was unrelated to my original question.

:roll:

41 - 60 of 272 Posts