Ibanez JEM Forum banner

61 - 80 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
frankfalbo said:
Sorry, Darren :cry: unfortunately you don't have a whole step of play on the 1st and 2nd strings. The D-tuna could only get you about a half step at best. The only strings that can give you a whole step are the low E and the G. And this is pertinent to the thread because we're talking about what you can do with a tremol-no.
That's unfortunate. :( Maybe Kevan will invent a variant of the D-Tuna that has greater range!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
No, but then I think by the time you get that many lever's on your trem unit it becomes fairly useless anyway. I'd have to have to flip that many things to change a tuning, I'd rather just have a couple extra guitars set up that way if I really needed that flexability. Or just have a fixed bridge guitar that I can retune fast. Besides, as far as I know, the D tuna won't fit an edge or lopro edge anyway will it? I thought the castings were to thick as opposed to the stamped and formed bases of an OFR.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
darren wilson said:
Neither the Transperformance nor the Trilogy bridges are available as tremolo units. :)
And it just hit me duh..........

This arguement is pointless because you're talking about using the tremol-no with the Dtuna's and it would HAVE to be locked in order to use the Dtuna anyway, in which case, it becomes a non tremolo guitar to hold pitch with the D tuna's in use. The only reason the unit works on the Van Halen stuff is because there is no recess for the trem to fall back into, you drop the D and it's sitting tight against the body, if you actually have it floating, when you drop the D the rest of the strings go sharp anyway.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
littlegreenman said:
And it just hit me duh..........

This arguement is pointless because you're talking about using the tremol-no with the Dtuna's and it would HAVE to be locked in order to use the Dtuna anyway, in which case, it becomes a non tremolo guitar to hold pitch with the D tuna's in use. The only reason the unit works on the Van Halen stuff is because there is no recess for the trem to fall back into, you drop the D and it's sitting tight against the body, if you actually have it floating, when you drop the D the rest of the strings go sharp anyway.
Finally...somebody intelligent enough to actually GET it. ;)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Maybe the mulitiple-D-Tuna idea was pushing the boundary a bit far. Excuse me for thinking unconventially. Just trying to inject a little creativity.

But thanks for your insightful commentary on my "intelligence."

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hey...it wasn't meant as an insult to your intelligence at all. It's just hard to believe that you've continued to defend an idea with so many obvious holes in it. I simply meant that finally somebody else was able to see yet another reason that it's completely implausible.

No harm intended- the whole thing has been in good humor (just in case you were unable to detect the sarcasm in the "off-topic" comments.)

Once you get a chance to actually play around with the Tremol-no, you'll better understand it's capabilities. It's a killer gadget, but it's not going to alter the laws of physics or make the impossible possible. ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't think a unit like that would be superfluous at all. In fact, to me the perfect bridge would be piezo, with a non-floating trem and hipshot type tuning abilities. I'd MUCH rather have that than multiple guitars. I'm kinda like Vai that way... I just like to have ONE real good guitar that I use above all others.

Just think, some people think 7 strings are too much, and nowadays we have 8, 9, and even more multi-stringed instruments. If thinking forward and pushing the creative boundaries is too much, go play a banjo then! :lol:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It's not a matter of thinking forward being a bad thing. It's a matter of being realistic and knowing the limitations of what you're working with. The D-Tuna only functions under very specific conditions. The Tremol-no is designed for, and does, ONE thing. Can you use them together? Sure...to some extent. But no combination of the two items will erase the limitations of each individual item.

It's simply a matter of being realistic. :)

(And if you think that playing a banjo is to be equated with being limited, you should check out a couple of Bela Fleck albums).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
this sounds like a really interesting venture for Kev. how cool is it that Steve Vai is using one??

Good luck Kev, in case your reading. :wink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
vaijem777 said:
It's not a matter of thinking forward being a bad thing. It's a matter of being realistic and knowing the limitations of what you're working with. The D-Tuna only functions under very specific conditions. The Tremol-no is designed for, and does, ONE thing. Can you use them together? Sure...to some extent. But no combination of the two items will erase the limitations of each individual item.

It's simply a matter of being realistic. :)

(And if you think that playing a banjo is to be equated with being limited, you should check out a couple of Bela Fleck albums).
Whatever. I still say it's a cool idea, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I'm not even talking about the D-Tuna so much, as just appreciating that Darren was throwing out wild, and improbable, but still forward-thinking ideas. Being realistic... go tell that to Leo Fender, Les Paul or Floyd Rose. Or Ken Parker. I could go on and on.

Everyone always has an answer. Next thing you'll be telling me the wonders of some 1 string guitar player. Bela Fleck notwithstanding, you get my point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just to clear up a thing or two...

The D-Tuna will indeed fit and function on an original Edge profile. I am using one on one of my RG520s. I had the backroute extended to make it easier to use.

I also put a Tremol-No on the same guitar. Sure the T-No isn't for everyone. Neither is the D-Tuna, Sustainer/Sustainiac or the Floyd Rose for that matter. Regardless, it's a great idea, and fully functional.

When I wish to use the D-Tuna, I activate the T-No, and it works as solid as a fixed bridge. When I don't need to use the D-Tuna, I can unlock it and have full up-and-down range on my trem. I couldn't do that when I just blocked the bridge for the D-Tuna.

I know it isn't a hard-and-fast review, but I have tried it, it does what it says it will, and I hope someone picks up the liscense to sell it. This way Kev makes a little cash, and I can outfit a few more guitars.

Cheers,
Butch

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Wordwolf said:
Whatever. I still say it's a cool idea, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I'm not even talking about the D-Tuna so much, as just appreciating that Darren was throwing out wild, and improbable, but still forward-thinking ideas. Being realistic... go tell that to Leo Fender, Les Paul or Floyd Rose. Or Ken Parker.
Well..I AM talking about the D-Tuna, because THAT is what was being discussed. As for Fender, Floyd Rose, Parker, etc...those examples are irrelevant, since their ideas actually WORKED. Huge difference :)

Again- there's nothing wrong with forward thinking, as long as it's actually thought out. Some things simply are NOT possible. Perhaps another device will come out that will make up for the D-Tunas shortcomings when used on the higher strings. Until then, reality remains intact.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cool:) Just looked at the site, and this could be a very usefull little gadget indeed:) Well, seeing as there's a few things here and there in the works that mean no more PRS' for me ;)

It'll be interesting to see if i can get hold of one and road test it :) Would be nice to get one for the studio, but a bit too late for that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
"Its cool; actually it's so simple. So many people over-design things, and they tend to not work, or break easily. This thing is simple, easy to use, and most important- it works. All the people that want a fixed bridge on their favorite guitar can now get it without buying a new guitar, then when (as we all do!) decide that they really want the tremolo, just loosen two thumbscrews and presto, back to a trem!"

- Jim Donahue (NoahJames Guitars)

Nuff said....end of story!!! 8) :twisted:

http://www.tremol-no.com/endorsees.html

61 - 80 of 272 Posts