Ibanez JEM Forum banner

121 - 140 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi!
I'm sorry but I have to ask this stupid question: I am looking for a backstop device. Would the tremolno do the trick? I mean, if you only tighten the knobs a little will you still be able to move the trem both ways but also do doublestops without having the socalled trem-sag, or the other strings going out of tune?
Hope someone understands my stupid question...

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I get what you mean.
What you're proposing might damage the unit by dragging the main shaft against the locking screws. I think that would ultimately cause wear if the screws, but they'd be cheap to replaces as they won't be as heavy gauge metal as the locking shaft.

The main idea or intended use is a LOCK / Dive ONLY (like a Strat set up with all the springs)), or full floating.
I hope that helps,

Bamm

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks! But would it be possible perhaps to evolve the tremol-no so that it would work as the backstop? I know some guys who would love to have a backstop in their Ibanez but since they, Ibanez, don't make it anymore it can't be done. It's damn hard to find. One of my friends has it in his white Roadstar guitar(like the one JS has on one of his covers) and it works brilliantly. You can use the tremolo both ways but when you bend a string the others don't go out of tune. That's great! Unfortunately he will never sell his device or guitar so... I have a problem... Please do something. BTW I am not even sure it fits the new Ibanez line. I have a 2004 7vwh... Therefore if I could use the tremol-no as the backstop it would be great!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Thats what it does, completely locks the trem in place, no movement at all. or you can do the other functions like I mentioned.

It almost sounds to me like you want a trem setter too.
The trem setter will help balance things out but you lose all flutter with it.
Bamm

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I like the idea of being able to lock a floating trem so it basically becomes a hardtail. It's the only way I'd buy a floating trem equipped guitar right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah... Maybe I'm after a tremsetter but doesn't the hipshot tremsetter make the tremolo hard to use or does it work like the backstop? I'm worried about having to drill holes in my guitar just to find out that it dosn't work the way I want it to... But if the tremsetter works like the backstop then maybe that is what i'm after

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Define what you mean by backstop.

As I said, the Tremol-no will lock your trem in place so NO movement takes place.

2nd option is Dive only so you cannot pull up on the trem but you can set your return point wherever you see fit.

3rd option is full float mode (unlocked) allowing normal use of the device.

The great thing is there is NO drilling, just replace your old trem claw and attatch the unit to your bridge.

DONE.

Bamm

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay... The Ibanez Backstop basically does this: It stabilizes the trem around a "zero" position. It means that when not in use the tremolo will stay where it's supposed to be. When you decide to use the whammy you just use it. No knobs need to be turned or anything. Just pull up or down in the whammy bar. When you let it go it returns to normal position and so on. The only thing it does is it allows you to bend a note while hitting another note which will be in tune. If you do this on a normal trem (LP or EP) the note hit secondly will go flat. I donøt think you use the flutter when using Ibanez Backstop. My friends Roadstar (540 i guess)whammy works just as well as my 7vwh but you can bend without other strings going flat... :D

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Trem setter will do the job of what you're asking, but I don't know enough about it to tell whether or not you need to drill anything.

Bamm

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
regarding the tremsetter, if the tremsetter improves the guitar (which it very likely would in this case given what was posted), the small holes drilled (assuming proper installation) would certainly NOT negatively effect the value of a player instrument. it is a moot point really... glen

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
any trem-setting device, tremsetter or backstop included, will stiffen the feel of the trem and most likely dampen flutter to the point where it's virtualyl impossible to attain. That's where the tremol-no comes in; it allows you unimpeded bar access/technique when the device is bypassed, but can quickly be switched, on the fly, to a fully locked mode so that you CAN do compound bends. You just can't do both at once- Kevan looked at the situation, sized up a common complaint with tremsetter type devices, and saw a compromise that would still fit a good many player's needs, and designed a device accordingly. It's not some magic do everything device, just a very practical answer to a common problem.

Myself, i don't really flutter the bar that much, although the alternate tuning possibilities are quite tempting, and are probably not attainable with a tremsetter...

-D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm sorry that I went kind of off topic but does anybody know if the tremsetter allows total divebombs and if the trem still can pulled as much up as it can without the tremsetter?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Well bust my buttons !
Far be it from me to pass up an announcement like this.
The Tremol-no is in a NAMM spotlight article in Vintage guitar magazine in either September or October. The issue following the current with Satch on the cover.

Things are coming along nicely it would seem.
This lil piggy went to market and he brought the tremol-no with.
I guess the other piggy is still at home with his blok-o-wood-no-mo.

Woot..

Bamm

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Re: the tremsetter.

The tremsetter works by providing a backstop for the trem block to sit against. It is a moveable spring loaded backstop so pull ups are still possible, unlike a wood block. It works by increasing the claw spring tension to hold it against the tremsetter so that it becomes an actual physical stop. This increased tension allows you to do a full bend without the trem pulling away from the tremsetter.

This does come with some disadvantages though.

1. It will not keep your guitar from going sharp and out of tune if you break a string, I've had strings break with tremsetter equipped guitars and it will still go sharp. It's still a balancing act in tension.

2. It kills ALL bar flutter

3. It really limits the amount you can actually pull up on the trem vs if it wasn't in there at all.

Now

Re: the tremol-no

The tremol-no is faster to install, has no setup time required like the tremsetter and does not kill bar flutter or the amount you can pull up on it.

I guess some differences would be (and some might call them negatives)

1. It still won't keep your guitar in tune with double stop bends unless the tremol-no is locked. (note, this will not be the case with the tremol-no Deep C which will allow divebombs but has a second lock which when set will not allow the trem to pull up)

2. If you break a string, your guitar will go sharp and out of tune assuming the tremol-no is not locked.

3. You do have to physically tighten the lock screws where the tremsetter is "always on"

However, lets keep this in mind, if you have a floating trem guitar, you bought it for a reason. The tremsetter limits the use of the floating trem permanently (at least while installed in the guitar) the tremol-no simply improves upon the capability of a floating trem.
You have to compromise somewhere, it's like buying an SUV, you get the spaciousness of an SUV at the cost of high gas bills, you buy a sub compact you get the convenience of low gas bills at the cost of a small powerless car, you buy a Ferrari you get the grace of incredible performance at the cost of the COST and it won't carry groceries!

Trem equipped guitars to me are like a Ferrari, you're getting something high performance that will allow you the freedom to do much more than your standard LP type guitar. Putting a tremsetter in your guitar is like putting a trailer on a ferrari, now you can carry more groceries but you lose a lot of other performance, putting a tremol-no in your guitar is like trading up from your Ferrari 328 to a 456LM, you get the same performance, with added grocery room ;)

Just my $.02

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks! Btw I love Ferraris! ( It's not a joke). And I love my JEM. I can see the difference in the two systems now. No doubt that the tremol-no could be a great item for me to have - I'm just afraid that I will leave it locked and never use the whammybar again. Yeah yeah I know I'm lazy and that that's my own foult but whatabout the thing called WD tremolo stabilizer. I can find it on the net but not how it works or any real reviews. Or anything about how it's installed. Guess at the moment I'm leaning towards the tremsetter thing. (Sorry, I don't actually use the tremolo that much). Or I will have to learn myself to bend the second note a tiny bit doing double stop bends...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Two hands31 said:
I like the idea of being able to lock a floating trem so it basically becomes a hardtail. It's the only way I'd buy a floating trem equipped guitar right now.
Ditto. I want a 7 string guitar for graduation from college, and I'd like to get an RG1527 (or maybe, parents willing, a UV777) not the damn RG7321.

Plus I miss having a trem. I just hated dealing with it's inherent problems. This seems like this would solve all of that.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ya know...just when you think you've gotten the PERFECT guitar finally, somebody has to come along with a way to make it even better. :)

The AT300 was the sweetest Ibanez I've had in just about 13 years and had almost everything I wanted in a guitar. Almost.

I love the vintage trem, but I really wanted to see if I could possibly get the guitar to sound better than it already did.

NOW it's perfect! :) First, there was noticeably more sustain acoustically. Then, plugged in straight to my Matchless Chieftain 1/2 stack with no FX the difference was instantly obvious. Every note was crisper, punchier and rang longer.

After putting the Tremol-no-equipped AT300 through the Bogner Shiva and the Rivera TBR-2SL rack, the conclusion is that the unit is much more than a hit-or-miss gadget based on a gimmick. It's a legitimate hit. :)

121 - 140 of 272 Posts