Ibanez JEM Forum banner

141 - 160 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nope- that's how I've had it since the day I brought it home :)
It came with (3) but the tension was insanely stiff. Not sure if the springs were just extra-high tension or what. So, took the middle out out and it was perfect. I tried some different springs as well, but nothing felt quite as "right" as the two original ones.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Wow. That's definitely different. I also noticed in the large photo that Ibanez has on their site, that the trem is based on a vintage trem with the six pivot screws, but it looked like the two middle ones were not installed. Is that how they actually come from the factory, or was that just an anomaly for the photo shoot?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The middle two pivot screws aren't used at all- the holes aren't even drilled. The tremolo itself is pretty different. It comes with a little intonation tool that screws into the back of the saddles and basically works like the old Ibanez Edge & LoPro tools did. Certainly unique!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Has anybody picked up the November issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine yet?

Right there on page 25:

"Another great gadget was the Tremol-No, developed by guitarist Kevan Geier. This easy-to-install device locks down a tremolo, termporarily converting it to a fixed bridge. The Tremol-No requires no routing or permanent modificaion of an instrument; it simply replaces the claw and middle spring in the tremolo cavity with a small bar and finger-tightening screw that attaches from the tremolo block to the claw. Variations of the Tremol-No are available to accomodate units by Hoshino, Fender, Floyd Rose, and others."

Pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have had one in one of my stage guitars since i got it, and its about to get roadtested. I had the Deep-C in as well, but havent really used that much.

Well be seeing how it stands up to full road abuse and a guitar techs verdict next week, also these axes get a lot of abuse on tour so hopefully it'll cope with all that.

The only arse with it is that it relies on 3 springs being installed, and both my main stage axes are better balanced playability wise with 4, which makes it impossible to install on them, which is a shame, but that's more due to the trem block. THis is, though, more a case of me using stupid strings and liking a lot of tension. Maybe i should try the non-edge trem version that just clips on!

EDIT:-> I have been informed that it is possible, just my blond little self not thinking properly, so I'll be trying it out with 4 springs now :)

Once it's been abused halfway round the world and back I'll be reporting back to Kevan.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
James,
I haven't tried it myself, but you should be able to use the tremol-no with just one screw in there and then you can put the 4th spring in still.

It doesn't matter what side the spring is in (for some reason guys think the bass side needs more tension) because your trem is solid, whatever tension is in the back is pretty well distributed evenly over tne entire trem.

Can't hurt anything by trying it anyway :)

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yep:) Kevan just told me :) Just seems a little weird to me but I am going to try it, if not, I've been informed that the classic version may be better for me!

Still, I am looking forward to roadtesting it and seeing what it can handle!

James

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
www.tremol-no.com has been updated and from what I hear online, they are very close to being available :)

AND!!!!!!! ALL NEW!! (endorsements welcome)

jemsite said:
LOL.

That said i'd bet you can mill out a nice oak block for pennies, burn/emboss a cute name like "block-it" and sell these for a nice profit, cheap shipping with zero inventory. :) ...glen
Damn dude, you weren't quick enough with your idea :p somebody else did it 8O

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Edit:
Hey, you're there!

Original post below:
I think you meant hands... though fingers (2) would do. (Rachel Z...)

Is that a hack, or what?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ibateur said:
I think you meant hands... though fingers (2) would do. (Rachel Z...) Is that a hack, or what?
Amazing. I think that that's officially taken a spot in the "Top 5 Stupidest Things Ever Said on Jemsite." :roll:

·
Registered
403 Posts
That thing looks like the best idea for alternate tunings (Drop-D mostly)
And sometimes you just don't want a tremolo (like double bends).
I see that if you make a little hole in your backgaurd (hell don't know if that's the correct name) you can just lock and unlock it without removing the screws from you backguard? Sounds awesome to me.......instant fun 8)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
vaijem777 said:
Ibateur said:
I think you meant hands... though fingers (2) would do. (Rachel Z...) Is that a hack, or what?
Amazing. I think that that's officially taken a spot in the "Top 5 Stupidest Things Ever Said on Jemsite." :roll:
Not sure, might be one of the brightest as it went completely over my head. Explain? Bueller? Anyone?

EDIT - nevermind, got clued in... haven't had my morning juice to wake me up. This guy gets a big :roll: salute. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Any idea what this product will cost? (or a rough estimate)

(hell.....to bad I can't do much with materials else I'd make myself one right now....)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Some cool Tremol-no news that I found on another forum. This comes directly from Mr. Tremol-no himself:

"I just found out that Tremol-No endorsee Mike Martin is the new lead guitarist for Fozzy (WWE "wrestler" Chris Jericho's band). The other guitarist is Rich Ward of Stuck Mojo fame.

Mike will be playing LIVE with rest of Fozzy on Dec. 6th on the WWE show (I think it's the Spike TV channel, 9PM EST). The Tremol-No is in his #2 guitar, so let's hope for a string break! LOL- just kidding.

Holy exposure, Batman! The WWE gets 5,000,000 viewers each week. That's crazy! Anyway, I thought you all might like to check out one of the Tremol-No guys in action. The covers that the band does we've all heard, but some of the originals are pretty good.

Let me know what you thought of the bands performance and I'll gladly pass it along to Mike and the guys. They'd love to hear from ya.

The other update is to the FAQ page:
http://www.tremol-no.com/faq.html
(last question listed)
Someone asked, so I answered.

New endorsees info as well:
- Milan Polak's pic is up. He's very, VERY happy with his unit. His quote is coming soon.
- "Big Nasty" from the TX-based band, Tin Henry. Big Nasty is not only big, but...ummm...well, he's also a nice guy. His hard rhythm playing will be another good test of the Tremol-No. He's got some floater trem guitars that he'll be testing the Tremol-No out on. The band's got some cool clips on their site, and a nice pro video for the song "Inside Out". Check it out if you can. He also said he'd be using his Tremol-No-equipped guitar in the studio, a lot! We'll have to wait for the new record in 2005. His pic and quote are coming soon (in the next week or so).

I also cleaned up the Links page. That big, long list of artists was getting a bit out of control, so it's now two columns. A bit easier to pick the artist now.

No news on the licensing front. I'm still waiting like the rest of you. Maybe if I stopped checking email every 48 seconds while starring at the phone....."

(Found at: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57418)

Interesting stuff! Sounds like things are really going well! Hopefully the licensing will become a reality soon...I could use a couple more units!

141 - 160 of 272 Posts