Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this product in some magazines and checked out the website and was really curious about how the quality is. I'm thinking about putting the Pea**** Blue set on the JEMG7VWH. I would think that would look cool. I'm just curious about the longevity of the brand. I currently use D'Addario 10's. Oh, and one more thing, how is the Dime signature set?

·
Registered
442 Posts
i not sure, but u should try it and see how they are if ther not to expensive, i always thought about the possibilitys of colored strings, but it was more of a "what if" to me. if u try them, let me know how they are

·
Registered
809 Posts
My friends father had black strings on his black squier strat. It looked cool but the black colour started to fade from some points, well the strings were pretty old anyway and they didn't feel anymore so good but don't know what brand strings they were.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
unique77 said:
I would wanna get some gold colored strings for my jem7vwh, now that would be nice. never tried the colors though
there used to be a company that made gold strings... maxim, i think... which used actual gold (plating?). haven't been able to find them for years, though. theory was they'd last longer bcs of the gold being resistant to corrosion. from memory i think i paid about AUS$30 a set back when normal strings ran about $10.

they would be just the thing on a galactic pimp 7vwh!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
damo7v said:
there used to be a company that made gold strings... maxim, i think... which used actual gold (plating?). haven't been able to find them for years, though. theory was they'd last longer bcs of the gold being resistant to corrosion. from memory i think i paid about AUS$30 a set back when normal strings ran about $10.

they would be just the thing on a galactic pimp 7vwh!
There are still a few brands of acoustic strings with gold plating. I think kentucky golds are still produced somewhere locally and I do know a few bluegrass players who use them. They dont really sound that different from bronze though in my honest opinon but they look quite a bit better and last alot longer.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
shredfreak said:
My friends father had black strings on his black squier strat. It looked cool but the black colour started to fade from some points, well the strings were pretty old anyway and they didn't feel anymore so good but don't know what brand strings they were.
that is the thing when the black wears off you know that it is time to change them. those are called black dimond strings

i thought about geting a set too but they are a little high, can't bring myself to spend that much on strings when i can get good strings for 2.85 a pack.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yeah i used the dr black beautys there nice they dont last as long as they say they do, but the black comes off if you shred or pound em but who doesnt.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've used the red, blue and black ones -- yeah they look cool... personally, the black looks the coolest... BUT.
They also seem to hold that initial bright spankyness (is that a word?) a little longer than normal strings. I noticed that they still sounded fresh longer than my normal D'Addario .009-.042's....
On the other hand, they are more expensive than normal strings, so it's really a wash in the end.
You pay twice as much for them to last twice as long as normal strings... but they look twice as cool... so it's kinda up to you if you want to try 'em.
Yeah, they tend to lose their color where you pick the most, but overall, the color sticks on them for a while before really showing much wear.

·
Banned
916 Posts
A buddy of mine used the black ones once and they did sound a little brighter, but after about 10 days the black started coming off. He kept them on for about a month and they looked and felt like crap.

I am a big fan of D'addario's myself, they are cheap and sound good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really like the elixirs new anti rust coated strings with the nanoweb coating. They feel and sound just like D'addarios but they feel like theyre just out of the package for the duration of wear. I highly recomend them, its so much more fun to pick up your guitar and have that feel every time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ditto, Unique. I feel the same way, and not to hijack the thread, but do you hafta buy two sets to get an extra string for your 7? Or do they come in 7's?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts